Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Gauge

Jester Guest

Question Gas Gauge

Its driving me crazy. Bought a new gauge set from NAPA - got the part number from another thread here. Put it in and as soon as the gauge gets power it pegs. I think a short in the wire to the sender.

Run a jumper wire from the sender to the gauge. Does same thing. Run a jumper from the battery and a jumper from the sender. Does the same thing.

What is up? Why would the gauge peg full? This is what the old gauge/sender did that I replaced.

HELP!!!!!!!

Did the sending unit you're using come with the gauge? They are generally matched to work together, so if you have a new gauge with the stock sending unit, they may not like each other.

BTW, I have a box of small parts and some tires for you here at my place.
    -- Tim Taylor

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Did the sending unit you're using come with the gauge? They are generally matched to work together, so if you have a new gauge with the stock sending unit, they may not like each other.

BTW, I have a box of small parts and some tires for you here at my place.
    The gauge and sender were a set from Napa. They are matched. No idea why they are not working.

I will get with you to get the parts/tires. I am excited.

R T F M ?

And check your grounds. Always check your grounds.
    -- Tim Taylor

this may be simplistic but is it a 12v gauge on a 24v system?... or versa vicey

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 5quarter View Post
    this may be simplistic but is it a 12v gauge on a 24v system?... or versa vicey
    Wish it was that easy. Nope. Truck is coverted to 12V and the gauge/sender is for 12V.

Only thing I can think of is that somehow the sending unit signal side and the ground side are not isolated but one is crossing over in a place where they should be isolated from each other...would have to see it to find out where...does that make any sense to you?

Kind of like running a wire from positive on the battery to negative....or bridging the plates inside the batery even...

What you are saying brute4c makes perfect sense to me, because the gauge is energized with battery voltage from the ignition switch and then current flows thru the sender to ground.

There must be a short to ground or the sender is shorted internally.

Is it a one-wire sender?

Dumb question but how much gas is in the tank?

Do you have an ohmmeter?

My above post assumes your gauge combination is one where low ohms = full and more resistance = empty.

It could be the reverse as mentioned in this post by Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    According to the Snap-on Gauge tester/Signal Generator and Calibrator Manual most 1966-94 GM fuel gauges read 1 ohm @ Empty, 44 ohms @ Mid point, 88 ohms @ Full.
    12 v fuel sender and guage

What happens to the gauge when the sender wire is disconnected at the sender and the ignition is turned on?

If you have an ohmmeter handy, call me.

Jester Guest

The sender has two wires. One from the gauge and one goes to ground.

I have a multi-meter.