Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement top question

Default Conversion Cornfusion...

New Life did my top along with seat covers and full canvas for the back. You can't go wrong with them. I did get the bigger back window for visibility. I absolutely love their products. Good fit and I have to mention the waterproofness (is that a word?) of their stuff. I have slept in the back many times since I bought the canvas and in pouring Oregon rain the canvas never showed any signs of dampness on the inside at all. I would order again in a heart beat period.....Good stuff...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I will definately be getting the top from New Life. So I should order the roll up back top with the bigger back window.

OK. I'll call them and order it.

Thanks.

Bob

Default Progress Report

I just got an e-mail from New Life. Here's a copy:

Currently we're doing olive drab or black tops in the milspec canvas. We do
    either the original style top for $250 including shipping, or a non-original
    style with a zippered panel in the rear (like an M37 cabtop) and larger
    window for $285 including shipping.

You can have a larger window in the standard top at no extra charge. Also,
    we can make the cabtop from reinforced vinyl in civilian colors (black,
    white, red, blue, green, tan, etc.). Our standard top uses simple "3 bar"
    buckles for the 3 straps behind the seats. You can have spring loaded
    "alligator clip" buckles there instead for no extra charge.

Attached is our price list for the M715. Lead time for a cabtop right now
    would be about 2 weeks. Please let me know if you would like more info. or
    canvas samples. Thank you for your interest in our canvas!

Sincerely,
    Judith Peach
    Co-owner
    nlrm@together.net

I am thinking of getting the black mil spec canvas zippered back top with the large rear window. Does anyone here know if the aligator clips are better than the 3 bar clips?

Also does anyone here have the vinyl top from them? If so how does it compare to the canvas top? I really wanted a tan colored top due to the summer heat here but I'm not sure if vinyl would be a good thing. Opinions?

New Life Rocks!
    Picked up the rollback top and seat back covers. I didn't need the bottoms as they were new. No problem any seat component was $21.50
    As far as I am concerned service was second to none! They even mailed samples of the canvas for the tops and seats. I'll look for the price list it's around here somewhere.
    I found my top to be a little loose BUT I have not gotten it wet yet and I am told It will shrink when it dries.
    Other that that every snap ligned up perfectly.

I highly reccomend them.

Just to add one more plug for NLR, I purchased a modified M170 top for my CJ-6 and I love it. MUCH better quality than the crappy Bestop junk, and at an equal or lesser cost. I will buy all my canvas from New Life.

They are sending me a sample of the black canvas and tan vinyl tomorrow for comparison. I am going to most likely get the black canvas one. I may even keep the stock seats and get some matching covers for them.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone have a recommendation as to where to get all the bows for the soft top?

Stan

I got the samples in the mail. I am sure I will get the black mil spec canvas with the zipper back, big back window, and alligator clips on the straps. The vinyl top material is way too thin for me.

One question for everyone who has one from NLR. Did you canvas stink?

The samples they set me smell so bad I had to put them inside of a zip lock bag then inside another bag to keep them from stinkin up the house.

Is this normal and does it go away?

Bob

Stink how? Like water proofing? Most new canvas that is treated has a smell or oder to it. But once you have it out on the truck in the weather the smell goes away. Take one of the samples and soak it in the sink and then dry it out and see if the smell goes away. That will tell you if the canvas will stay stinky or goe away. Or throw it out side for a few days and see what happens.
    Zone holster maker

I refer to it as "New (military) car smell"!

Be gratefull rubberized nylon like tents and groundsheets smell like old Vomit!