Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fastfrankie : Gas Filler Question

Default fastfrankie : Gas Filler Question

Gas Filler Question
    Post by fastfrankie on Oct 27, 2006, 5:09pm

Since we are on the topic of gas fillers....mine gets real chalky inside....I cleaned it out months ago with some steel wool and cleaned it out, but now its getting chalky again, and the chalky deposits are getting into my tank.

Has anyone cleaned the inside of the gas filler and painted it, so that it doesnt get chalky again? I was thinking of using some Rustoleum, which is pretty resistant to gasoline and other fuels.

Any suggestions?

Default oilcan :

Re: Gas Filler Question
    Post by oilcan on Oct 28, 2006, 1:44am

Sticking paint in there will pretty much guarantee various teardowns and rebuilds. Or at least lots of filter swapping.

I'm not quite sure what to do about your problem, though. I'm sure one of these good folks will come up with something.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 28, 2006, 1:49am

Coat the inside of the filler with some brand of gas tank liner.

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Oct 28, 2006, 1:52am

Make sure it stays flexible.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Oct 28, 2006, 2:06am

Since he mentioned using Rustoleum, I thought he just meant the inside of the metal part. Bad assumption, perhaps.....

Default oilcan :

Post by oilcan on Oct 28, 2006, 2:45am

You could be right timmah. We'll see in a little while.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Oct 28, 2006, 7:26am

There are chemical resistant paints out there that would work fine to paint the inside of the filler neck with that the gas will not dissolve. Most of my fuel cans are painted inside.

Default fastfrankie :

Post by fastfrankie on Oct 28, 2006, 9:08am

I am just looking for gas resistant paint for inside the METAL fuel filler neck. Like I said, for whatever reason, mine gets real chalky and the white chalky substance falls off into the rubber hose down below. I notice it when I go to fill it up with gas. There must have been like two or three teasthingys of chalk sitting in the rubber hose!

I figured if I clean out the neck again and coat it with some paint, it will stop it from getting chalky again. I hope to go to our local Home Depot or Lowes and get something in their paint aisle to coat it/paint it. Maybe I should shoot some epoxy primer in it? I have plenty of two part epoxy primer...

I never fill my tank all the way up to the rubber hose anyway. The only time gas will have contact with the paint is when refueling and it splashes around a bit. I think epoxy primer may be the answer....

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Oct 28, 2006, 11:03am

Good post. I will be doing the inside of my Jerry Can's with the POR 15 gas tank liner kit I bought. Since the inside of my gas tank was so perfect I won't need it there. I think I'll also do the inside of the filler neck to fix the problem you describe. Bring your filler neck over I'll do it at the same time. Fisherman

Default hiker :

Post by hiker on Oct 28, 2006, 12:37pm

I believe that the white chalky stuff is just chemicals/additives from the fuel. My truck has the same condition. Unless you find out otherwise, these white deposits will desolve back into the fuel when they wash down into the tank.
    Robert-ca