Thread: SM465 vs T98

Default SM465 vs T98

I would like to know what the advantages of running a SM465 over the t98.

Also, what is the dimensions on the input of the tranny? I recently bought a 6BT and am looking at Trans options. I would like to go to a NV4500 but they are costly. the input shaft has to be a 10 spline 1.125" to fit up to the 6BT.

SM465: parts available everywhere. Big yokes available. 6.55:1 low. Beefy. No retarded bellhousing.

I'll check the input tomorrow, but it's 10spl at least and from memory, close to that. Oh, wait. I'll check the factory manual, maybe that's got it. One moment. No, it's not.

Since it's actually tomorrow already, I went out in the garage, and had my memory jogged by the tape measure: 1.125" input.

And you can get the proper adapter to the 6bt. There is an adapter available for the 4bt to mate a 465 to it. Might look for bread trucks around you.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Sounds like a winner to me. My friend has built a few cab trucks and has a pair of SM465/205 combo's. The biggest thing with me is what kind of speed i am going to run with a SM465. That's the reason i wanted a NV4500 is for the overdrive. Does anyone have a speed calculator out there where you can input all the variables. Tire Size, diff gear, tranny gear, rpm?

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmtirecalc.html

Well i found a link. Just enter your desired speed, rpm, final drive, and diff gears and it will tell you what size tire is needed for that example.

I choose an 80MPH target with 4.56 diff gears, 3000 RPM and 1.00 final drive.

It said that i would need a 39" tall tire. Which i am wanting to use 40's. I guess i have made my choice, SM 465 it is. Thanks guys.

3k huh? alrighty then.
    **I heart Bump_r **

I wasen't talking about cruising speed. 3k on a 6bt would be screamin