Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: took M725 out for a ride, 1st time

Talking took M725 out for a ride, 1st time

Registered M725 and M715 yesterday. Surprise, I had an issue trying to register M725, the vin came up as a boat trailer, had to bring a picture in of the vin number off the data plate, women at motor vehicle office where great, took care of the problem.
    Took the M725 out for a ride last night.
    Surprise, it drove like a 40 year old ex military truck.
    Once I got use to it, it went pretty well.
    Picked my 14 year son up from after school activity, kids loved the truck.
    Getting a vibration once I get up to 35 / 40 MPH.
    Almost felt like 4 wheel was engaged, but it was not.
    Vibration did not seem to be transferred back to steering wheel, almost felt like front drive shaft was out of round.
    Most system functional, blinkers, brakes, lights(one headlight went out as I was using it), speedometer, temp gauge, oil gauge, alt gauge, engine and exhaust quiet. Gas gauge not working, one wiper not working, heat and choke cables are very stiff. Truck was a great deal.

Where is the best place to order basic parts?
    I need a 24v headlight for m725.

Still working on brakes for M715, not ready for the road yet.

Hey, welcome to the ice creamer's club! That first ride is always a hoot, isn't it?

You're probably feeling the "death wobble" that occurs on many of these trucks about 45 mph. Check your alignment - even a toe-in that's off will cause issues like that.

Again, congrats and post pics!
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Glad to see another 725 on the road. Its great to get the kids into it. My first M725 my son and worked on and I pioacke him up on the last day of chool last year.
    John

Welcome to the club! In the summer the ONLY way to drive it is with the doors unbolted.

Thanks for the congrats Compexp. I agree the first ride was a blast, after I got used to it I really enjoyed driving the truck around. I can't wait to get it out again.

As far as alignment, is there any backyard mechanic method for checking and correcting?

I am not too bad with a wrench, but not as talented as many on the zone.

The kids and people in general really seem to respond to this truck, I think the big red cross and the old camo paint appearance really gives it character.
    My 715 is fire dept red and needs to be repainted, but I may just touch up the rust spots on this one and leave it be for a while.

you can use a tape measure - outside to outside on the front tires, the front of the tires should be the same measurement as the back side of the fronts, within 1/4" or so - if one is wider, make it the front.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Quote Originally Posted by compexp View Post
    you can use a tape measure - outside to outside on the front tires, the front of the tires should be the same measurement as the back side of the fronts, within 1/4" or so - if one is wider, make it the front.
    Makes sense, that I can do.
    Thanks

Actually that would be toe out not toe in right? You want the fronts of the tires a little closer together than the rears...this should work for ya...

Jack up the front and make sure the tires are straight ahead.
    Measure at the rear of the etire, outside to outside, at the center of the tire, top to bottom.
    Measure at the front of the tire, outside to outside, at the center of the tire top to bottom.

The distance between the lines at the rear should be 3/32 to 5/32-inch greater than the distance between the lines at the front.

The spec is straight from the -20 manual.

67 M725 67 M715 68 M715