Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 700r4 in 715

Default chevy 292 in m715

I use a switch on the dash to lock my converter manually. It works good that way if you don't mind operating the switch, which I feel is no big deal. I also used a cv joint with the center section removed for a very short jack shaft. I think that is probably about as close as you can get 2 u-joints to each other. My 700r4 is out of an 87 Chevy pickup and has been beefed up with extra clutches and a Corvette servo, which makes for a very positive 1st to 2nd shift. I've been running it for about 10 years with no problems. It is behind a stock 454.

joe,
    i also used a cv joint for the short shaft between the t-case and tranny. do you have any vibration problems with it? i think mine may be out of balence. do you think a driveshaft shop would/could balence somthing like that?

-BrianM

Default What tires do you run?

Brian: they can, and you're in luck. Tom Woods is in Ogden. Have fun!
    **I heart Bump_r **

Brian,

Sometimes while starting from a dead stop , especially going up an incline on pavement I'll feel what I would describe as a slight "shudder". I have never been able to figure it out, but I relly haven't tried too hard because it doesn't happen that often and it isn't that bad. While driving down the road, which includes 70 mph runs, I get no vibrations.

Joe

thanks joe, i am getting the "shuddering" also. the other day i put another shim under the mount to prop it up and make the shaft a little more straigt. that seemed to help a lot.

-BrianM

Default anyone in virginia?

Joe/Ia or anyone else, how did you wire your converter? mine has three wires and is an 89 not sure of the wire colors. going to install it this saturday hopfully.

Thanks

It has been 10 years since we wired up my truck. I do know that besides the switch on the dash we also wired through a brake pedal operated switch. That way when I hit the brakes the converter unlocks. Wet CJ might jump in with better directions as he is the mastermind behind my wiring.

Joe

Default CJ 44s

Cool thanks I've got some other people trying to figure it out if wet cj doesn't respond. i've only got one night to try to get this done, I don't think I'll make it.

I don't remember having but 2 wires. one hot and one ground that I grounded to frame.

yea you want a pre 90 700r4 ,not a 4l60 and try and get a pre 86 so you have the better front pump and 30 spline convertor,the only electronics on a 700r4 is the convetor lookup which you need ,cause it will over heat the tranny and ruin it if you don't also be advised that the cable isn't just a detent cabhle it ius a pressure cable to control line pressure and dels with the shifting ,if this is adjusted wrong ,it will also burn the tranny up ,remember heat is the #1 killer of a tranny ,so install a big cooler and a nice transgo shift kit will take care of a few valve body flaws that are present in these trannys ,you also might want to look into a 2004r there about the same lenght of a th350 just the mounting pad is further back on the tailshaft