Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: agengr : International Tire and Tube

Default gimpyrobb :

Re: International Tire and Tube
    Post by gimpyrobb on Apr 14, 2006, 1:17am

I saw mention of their number, but not the number itself. Anyone care to post it? How much are these setting us back?

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Apr 14, 2006, 1:58am

Sorry, gimp! My wife took the invoice up to the computer to enter it in the banking software already. There's no telling where it is now. Like filed intelligently away or something. If she'd just leave the dang thing on the counter where it belongs....

I believe the tubes with the right valves were $18.95 or something, each. Free shipping over $25, I think. I didn't buy flaps from him. Reused mine.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 14, 2006, 8:17am

http://www.innertubes.net/catalog/

That is the website for the company. I forgot the exact part number. Mine is at home too.

Call 1-800-325-2860 x102. That is the direct line to Rusty. He is the one that gets all of our calls. Tell him what vehicle you have and he will start telling you the part number before you finish. My total bill was $105 or so for 5 tubes. That included tax since I am in the same state as him.

The stock NDT's are bias ply tires. They take bias ply tubes. The Michelin XL and XZL tires are radials and need radial tubes. It is a heat issue and you will loose if you try anything besides radial tubes inside the Michelin tires on the stock rims.

The stock rim has to slide through the middle of the tire/tube combination to be mounted. That makes it real easy for the tube to either get cut or at the very least, twisted up when the rim can is pushed through. A "flap" is a rubber piece that fits around the inside of the tube and is held in inside the beads of the tire. The flap contacts the can and protects the tube. I think Joseph, Agengr, paid $10 or so for his flaps from Rusty. I got mine used from another member. Thanks again Bob.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Apr 14, 2006, 12:46pm

Yup. I also got 5 tubes and the total was $98 and change. No tax, since I'm not in Texas.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Apr 14, 2006, 1:00pm

Thanks guys, by the way, is the stock split rim dangerous to tear down or just the airing up part? I'd like to have them painted by the time my tubes get here, so I'd like to go at it tonight.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 14, 2006, 3:24pm

Chris,
    This is a simplified version of how to tear them down.

Remove the valve core from the tube.

Let all the air get out.

Then you have to break the bead. You can try to break it like on a regular tire. Use a jack to push the tire down or any thing you can think of. The best way I have ever done it or heard of it being done is with a Duck billed hammer. NAPA sells them for around $90.00. They are meant to be used with another hammer, but most people swing them like a pic and they do break the bead. Others use a nail puller pry bar. You have to push the tire down about 1-1/2 inches to get the split ring off.

Once you get the tire down, insert a big screwdriver or pry bar in the split in the ring.

If the ring is in front of you, push the ring to the left of the split away from the rim.

You will see a notch or hole in the ring about 4 inches from the split. Stick another pry bar in the notch.

Push the ring out until you see the second notch about 6 more inches down the way.

Repeat again.

You now have about half of the ring out.

Keep pushing on the last notch and use the big hammer you have laying around in imaginative ways to get the rest of the ring off.

Push the valve stem out of the rim through the hole in the middle.

Turn the tire over and break the inside bead.

Push/pull the can out of the tire/tube.

Remove the flap to be used with your new tube/tire

Install new tube in the new tire.

Put in enough air pressure to make the tube round.

Wrestle with the flap until it is in the new tire.

Slide in the now painted rim can.

Push the valve stem into the middle of the can. (Two screwdriver are better than your finger.)

Put the entire 140+ pound assembly on something that will support the rim but let the tire sag. I used a metal stool.

Beat the split ring on the can with a soft faced hammer so you don't screw up your paint.

Here is where most people use a bunch of chains as a safety precaution. But, look at how the bead of the tire fits over the split ring. If the tire is up over it, the ring can't come off.

I along with everybody else wanting to keep their arms, use a locking type air chuck that doesn't need your hand on it.

Put it on.

Turn on the air and stand back until the tire fully seats against the ring.

The XL/XZL tires take forever to fill up, they hold a lot of air. Be patient.

Adjust your pressure and start all over again on another tire.

Using a tire machine and several students as slave labor, it took me most of a day to break down my first tire.

I mounted 4 tire/tube/flap/rim assemblies in less than an hour last Thursday. You will get faster each time you do it.

Here is the link to the hammer. NAPA also has one.

http://www.kentool.com/Wedge_DBBW.htm

I am at home now, but at work, I have a link to a story a member did in much greater detail about how to break them down. I will post it on Monday if you still want it.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Apr 14, 2006, 5:35pm

Yeah, that works. Or you can use my method:

Bring tire to the tire center.

Pay them $15 and bring home newly mounted tire!

Tearing down isn't the dangerous part. Just remove the valve stem and you're fine. It's filling them back up that's the dangerous part.

BTW, Nick's "den mother" who works for the tire center said of the variety of split rims out there, ours is the safest to work with. I dunno.... That's just what he told me. And he works at the tire center.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Apr 17, 2006, 10:52am

Just spoke to Rusty! Mine are on the way. Thanks for the help and info gang!

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Apr 17, 2006, 12:06pm

This is the web site a fellow member made about tire removal.

http://www.omnicast.net/~rdjo/splitrimtireremoval.htm

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Apr 17, 2006, 1:21pm

THANK YOU TIM!!!!
    I thought Richards site wes gone after I pulled a bunch of pages off of it for the site with his permission...theres some more I can reacquire for the recovery process!!