Thread: Brake shoe replacement info

Default Brake shoe replacement info

I've done some searching and have found some differing info. Please let me know what has worked and not. NOS guys look like $25 a shoe, but have said a chev shoe works fine for $12. Any input would be great. I have them off now and one shoe was doing all the work and resulted in premature wear.

If you're just doing one wheel, get a NOS one.

The Chevy shoes work, but need modified to fit and function correctly. I wouldn't want to mix match from side to side.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Actually, you can get a whole set of Raybestos #60 shoes for $48.00 and the spring kit for another $12.00. Thats a shade more than a set of two shoes for one wheel. Of course there may be a core charge, because you'll want to keep your old shoes and either have them relined or exchange them for OE ones at some point. I found a set of old Chevy brake shoes kicking around and sent them back as cores to save the $$$.

The #60's need the top end cut off and it takes all of just a couple minutes to do. I measured them and cut them with a bandsaw. The springs are necessary because the original 715 springs attached to a small tab. The new shoes use a hole and a spring with a hook on the end.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I had mine relined (riveted on, like the originals) for $15/shoe locally. Took the guy less than 2 hours per axle to do.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by compexp View Post
    I had mine relined (riveted on, like the originals) for $15/shoe locally. Took the guy less than 2 hours per axle to do.
    Not a bad deal. Unfortunately the nearest relining place to me is over an hour and a half away, so shipping or driving there would have offset the cost. I did send them my park brake band and they did it for $30.00.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I am going to try and reline the shoes myself. I am not a mechanic, so if I don't feel good about the result, I will either pay to have them relined, or try the Chevy shoe that guys here are talking about.

I bought the linings and rivets on eBay, and I bought a press-type rivet tool from Rapco.

New, OEM shoes were $800 for the entire truck.... so that's not an option. Nuh uh.

I read here that I will need to have the linings shaved down somewhat at the edges and center so the new shoes contact the drum more efficiently. From the sounds of it, that's the only thing I cannot do myself.

My truck isn't going to be used exclusively as a parade queen. I will use it to access remote areas in the Sierras, with a payload and pulling a military trailer, so I will need strong brakes. I am thinking about converting to discs in the future for that reason.

Dunno yet. I hate the idea of making permanent changes...

Onward through the fog.