Thread: Picture of Front of Engine Needed

Question Picture of Front of Engine Needed

Help!

I forgot which bolt on the timing chain cover the alternator bracket attaches to, and I can't find a picture of it anywhere-- TM's, my own pix, my own faulty memory...

I've got this gear replacement 90% done (thanks M38inMaine!), but there are two bolts that potentially secure that bracket, and I can't remember which one it was.

I'm going to try to finish it up later today because it's going to be almost 60 degrees out.

Thank you, and have a great holiday season.

Got ‘er-

The weather was too good to wait, so I just did what made sense.

Good on ya. Looking great and congratulations on getting the parts and getting it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Good on ya. Looking great and congratulations on getting the parts and getting it back together.
    Thanks Don!

If you'll notice in both those pics, I haven't got all the parts yet: it seems I need my third new valve cover gasket. Did they last longer when you were in the service?

I also noticed some scale buildup in the radiator, so a flush is in order.

Have a very happy holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    Thanks Don!
    it seems I need my third new valve cover gasket. Did they last longer when you were in the service?
    I wonder about the same question.

My valve cover gasket (brand new at the time) USA Made by Bestgasket is cracking badly without hardly any use at all.
    Started showing cracks during the second year.

Great news Nailhead. Glad that you are getting it back together.
    We are enjoying very mild weather this holiday week also.

I have not had any problems with my valve cover gasket that I replaced it several years ago when I adjusted the valves.

The motor pool sergeant alway got irritated if someone tightened the nuts too much. It would spread the rocker cover brace. It only takes only 5-8 ft pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I have not had any problems with my valve cover gasket that I replaced it several years ago when I adjusted the valves.

The motor pool sergeant alway got irritated if someone tightened the nuts too much. It would spread the rocker cover brace. It only takes only 5-8 ft pounds!
    Oh yes-- I've taken that torque spec to heart.

I was referring to the life span of the rubber used to make the gaskets, which doesn't seem oil resistant and cracks to the point of uselessness in about two years.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I wonder about the same question.

My valve cover gasket (brand new at the time) USA Made by Bestgasket is cracking badly without hardly any use at all.
    Started showing cracks during the second year.

Great news Nailhead. Glad that you are getting it back together.
    We are enjoying very mild weather this holiday week also.
    Thanks Dan.

I got two from Memphis, one of which I destroyed trying to install it on the cover. The other came apart where the ends were glued, bonded, whatever, after about six months and left a 1/4" gap and a big oil leak. This last one I bought at Walck's, and had high hopes for it: seamless, easily installed.

If they'd make one out of Buna, nitrile, Viton, silicone, or some other oil-resistant rubber, I'd be ecstatic.