Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Camper Special

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Camper Special

Well, if any of you noticed the thread in the "wanted" section M725 Camper
    ...you'll find my reasoning behind the project.

So today I bought the M725.

I feel proud that I saved this sweet rig from the scrap yard (it was literally in line) so I got a good deal.

This project will be 2 phases, first the drivetrain then the camper.

Next is to find the donor for cummins, tranny, tcase and axles.

That's a great idea. I'd do the same, if I had a need for a camping vehicle and a lot of disposable time and income. It looks like you're starting with a good truck.

Make sure that when you change the inside to a camper save those parts like the liter racks and some of the other amblance parts.
    Zone holster maker

Well, I'll defintely make available the ambulance parts and try to keep the military roots the best I can. I don't know much history on this vehicle aside from the Civil Air Patrol label on the door.

The key word is recycle. I'm hoping most of the materials and parts will be from what others don't want. Disposible income? Time? This is going to take a while but if plan is reached it will be worth it.

I've owned 2 CJ7's, a scrambler, grand wagoneer and fullsize cherokee but nothing is like this thing! I look forward to learning from you guys about these sick rigs.

Hey, I see you're in MA... I just saw a source pop up on craigslist you may be interested in:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/1424609559.html

Oh, wait... I see it said "had" a cummins... maybe he stripped that out. Nevermind then...

Madison Heights, MI, just outside Detroit

Hey there.... I have need of those litter racks .... let me know if you'd like to sell them.

I just acquired a 725 and am planning the same project as you. Tow vehicle/camper. 6bt and aod, with the intercooler. Like to see some detail pics if you have them. Very good article, keep it coming. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Well I realized I haven't updated this in a long time, guess that would be because I have done anything in a long time

The next plan of action is flipping the posts on the rear shackle flip and dropping the tank.

Also I may be getting some worn 12.50 20 XLs this week. Its a good deal and I can use the as rollers for fitting/testing, one will make a good spare.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Over the weekend I got some work in on the project.

I’m amazed at the condition of this beast for being 42 years old. I was able to unbolt everything without any trouble except the hose clamp on the gas tank. I’m beginning to really appreciate this rig and have figured out why it’s in such good shape. Of all the jeeps I’ve worked on I’ve never seen the rust proofing like this and the reason is that another contractor built box on these things. It appears they rust proofed prior to assembly and possibly attached the box as one unit. I certainly can’t prove this but having spent much of this weekend underneath, I can see where the factory left off and the box the contractor installed began, I’ll try and get some pics of this later. It’s pretty easy to figure out, just follow the rust proofing.

Here’s a pic of what the M725 looked like off the production floor before the box (this is the last M725 built).

I got the gas tank out without fanfare. The filler hose appears to be in good shape but I’m not out of the woods yet, still have to reinstall and hope there’s no leaks. I really don’t want to have to buy one of the expensive hoses on ebay but maybe I should even for backup. I haven’t gone through this tank yet but will add a return line and check on sending unit/inlet line.

The tough part of the weekend was taking a hole saw to the inside posts to cut them free of the inside brackets. I did one side and got half way threw the other before I broke my drill. I’ll have to get another 1 ½” hole saw and either use another drill or get a new one. Oh I also broke my grinder so have to get another one of those too. I know a bunch of guys have done this post flip with the shackle flip but I have not seen any pics posted. Well here we go:

Next is to finish the hole saw cutting, grind off the rivets and then flip the posts around.

After that I will clean up the frame and POR15. Again, the box has no rust to speak of but the frame could use some rust prevention.