Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil in coolant, coolant in oil

Default oil in coolant, coolant in oil

Finally got the Tornado 230 pieced back together and got it started. amazingly it seems to run really well. only problem is I have a serious breach somewhere in the cooling system. I have heard there are a couple of freeze plug locations to check for rust through. What would be yalls suggestion for a first step in tracking down this leak? both the oil and coolant look like chocolate milk after only running about 1 min.
    Thanks for any help

My first thought is head gasket. So, I would suggest a compression check of each cylinder or since you have contaminated oil. Maybe a leak down test so you don't have to spin the engine over.

How was the back of the front engine cover where the water pump impellor lives? Mine was chewed up some by a bad water pump bearing and if not the head gasket. That is the next place I would look.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Also, there is a core plug behind the timing chain cover......Al

Okay great, I'll do a compression test tonight and make sure we're consistent across all cylinders. Next I'll check the plug behind the timing chain cover

Before taking the engine apart again, applying compressed air to each cylinder to do a cylinder leak down test would be my first choice, and you can listen for hissing in the radiator while you are doing it.
    Four core plugs could possibly leak into the oil. Two small ones in the top of the head under the camshaft bearing bed, and two large ones behind the timing cover.
    A coolant system pressure test with the oil pan off, would show pretty quickly were the coolant is getting into the crankcase if the head gasket tests OK.

Last edited by jeepdan; September 18th, 2019 at 09:36 PM.

great, thank you for those photos.. I didnt have a chance to run a leak down test or a compression test yet. however I did remove the valve cover and found that the timing chain is super sloppy. ill have to replace that. im hoping ill find one of those freeze plugs rusted out as I dont really want to get into removing the head.

ok got out there and completed a compression test. results are as follows:
    CYL:
    1. 155
    2. 165
    3. 100
    4. 170
    5. 170
    6. 140

this seems indicative of a head gasket failure @ no 3 right? also, according to my manual, 145-155 is within spec. seems strange to have 3 cylinders above that.. Not sure if my harbor freight compression gauge is being honest with me.

Yeh, Number three cylinder looks pretty low.

A cylinder leak down test would be more specific as to what is leaking (intake or exhaust valve, rings, or head gasket) but, you have contaminated oil and coolant, so head gasket.
    Do you have extra help?
    Before even starting, I would remove the hood, then remove the front clip from the truck.
    It's not that difficult to do, and it will be so much easier, plus you can sit on the front tires.
    Last edited by jeepdan; September 19th, 2019 at 08:58 AM.

My wife will come out on occasion and hold a flashlight or turn the key for me. I bet I could talk her into helping me lift the hood.
    I think I should freshen up the timing chain, maybe the sprockets, and most likely the worm gear for the oil pump/dizzy while I'm into it this far.

number 3 looks like a valve seating problem try adjusting the valves before removing the head.