Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steering arm lifts/ spring over

Default steering arm lifts/ spring over

I am almost finished with my spring over lift. Everything is back together with one exception. The springs are now in the way of my tie reds and drag link. I think I must have lifted springs and was unaware. Does anyone make a lift block to weld or bolt on to the top of the steering arm/knuckle or am I going to need to have this custom made?

NO!

What you need to do is mount the tierod from the top now instead of from the bottom. Welding the hole in the steering arms closed and redrilling from the top and using a tapered ream will do the trick as youneed that beveled edge there.

Someone, cant thnk who offhand now, found that one can ream the tops out to an even larger size so that the existing hole doesnt need to be welded...I think there was a thread at the temp site...I'll look here in a minute for you...

Early on page 2 of this thred is good info and a couple pics:

http://m715zone.proboards102.com/ind...4778575&page=1

There is another way in this thread...note calpyro's posts:

http://m715zone.proboards102.com/ind...6192089&page=1

Re drilling the steering arms from the top is pretty easy. I figured it out with the help of a good parts guy. I found a new tie-rod end that has a small diameter equal to the large diameter of the old one.
    Next, I found a machinist to re-taper the holes from the top.
    Not too hard for sure……once I figured how to do it.
    Read the link above and it describes the process pretty well.

I think Saxon just posted some part numbers for the tie rod ends he used as well as the tapered reamer. I used a reamer from Paxtons here in Utah to ream the holes. #2 Ball joint reamer, 1 1/2" per foot. I'd have to go find the part numbers for the tie rod ends. Jed

x2 on the Saxon post.

Why, yes. Here it is... He posted it in response to the last time you asked, Talulah.

spring over conversion
    Last edited by Binford; June 8th, 2007 at 11:33 PM.
    -- Tim Taylor

OK. I all ready have all that info from "last time I asked". I have tried all the recomended tips. I have the tapered reams, new tie rod ends, etc. My spring perches have been welded on top of the axle. I have mocked everything up. Even been careful to get driveline angles proper. However, even after doing all this my tie rod hits the springs, on top of the steering arms, when I try to attach it! This is why I think my springs must be lifted/arched more than stock. I can see from the pictures on the old threads that were posted that it is a tight fit. I have also seen many cross over steering kits that include a block that bolts on top of the steering arm to get more clearance, unfortunately none for this axle. I have tried to be very thorough with this project. I have had no less than a dozen people look at this problem and givr advise. A custom fabbed steering arm lift is the only workable idea I've heard. Now please, without further cynicism, without assuming I am not listening or just an idiot, any other thoughts.

Please accept my apology for not understanding the full scope of the problem. If I had realized what all was going on, I wouldnt even have replied other than to maybe say something like....

Being it would be a custom arm or lifting device for the arms, is it possible to go back to a stock spring in order to allow this to work?

Maybe some measurements are in order?

If you could, please take some pictures and post them so we can take a look at what is going on with your truck. The pics on the old board are my truck, here are some more of my truck now that it is finished. There is plenty of room between the springs and the tie rod, so let us see what you're dealing with. Thanks, Jed

My set-up looks just like Jeds. About 1-1/2" clearance