Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock M715 at Highway speeds

yes about 15000 gets me to 70mph. its not worth it to go any faster

McInf did you put power steering in your truck?
    Zone holster maker

yeah. power steering along w/power brakes and im trying to mount the hydro ram assist befire the FE

On the Novak Conversions site they say that if you have a higher (smaller number) gear ratio than you need to change the carrier along with the ring and pinion, is that true?

The stock setup will handle ratios that are 4.56 or lower, numerically higher, gear ratio...to go past 4.56, you need a new carrier....note that the carries for the higher gears and the lower gears each will hold the 4.56 gears but you gotta specifiy which one you have...the higher gear or lower gear one....
    So there is one from 2.xx gears to 4.56 and one from 4.56 to 7.xx
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Do you know what trucks I could get this ring and pinion and carrier out of?

no I dont...maybe someone else will....
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Would it just be better to take the cab and bed of the M715 and put it on a chevy or ford chassias? In that case you get power steering,better highway speeds and other stuff.

basically thats what you do when you modify one to get faster speeds out of it is use donor parts truck. you change engines, trans, diffs,transfer cases, ect. you would be ahead to find a donor truck if you want to go faster on the highway. with the 715/724/725/726's they werent made to go fast just go anywhere and carry heavy loads doing it. you will then lose the thing that makes these trucks special in that you lose that rock crawling, stump pulling, low geared ability that these trucks were made for. you can change the tranny to an overdrive and then you would need to change the transfer case as they heat up at speed and from what the guys say get extremely hot. then you would be able to keep your low gears and still get highway speeds. basically its what ever you plan on using it for that determines what you do with it, stock or modified, fast or slow speeds, ect.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

In my opinion...
    If you want an M715 you want lower highway speeds, bottom end gearing.....brute force.....
    If ya want a factory type pickup that looks like an M715, put the cab and bed on their frame....
    Then theres that "other world"...modify the M715 with new drivetrain components but do it in a way that gives you low gears AND highway speeds higher than stock AND upgrade the surrounding systems to be up to the task....
    Ideally for me, the first and the 3rd above....one of each, would be my choices...and so thats my goal...yours will vary I'm sure!!
    brute4