Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrman : Gillespie Paint

Default barrman : Gillespie Paint

Gillespie Paint
    Post by barrman on Jul 31, 2006, 1:04pm

Most of you have followed along with my weekly "look what I painted this weekend" reports since I got back from the FE. I have shot 1-1/2 gallons of the USMC green now. Here are some things I have figured out that might help others.

I mix mine 2:1 with Xylene. It works great. But, don't go any thinner. Colton was helping me the other day while I was mixing. I don't won't him near the Xylene, so he calls off the numbers on the side of my mixing cup while I pour the stuff in. I had already put in 12 oz of paint and was going for 6 oz of Xylene. He stopped me at 8. I went ahead and used it. It ran like crazy. So, stay with the 2:1 and not 3:2. I am going to try less thin mixtures next time I paint. I will let you know what I find.

The finished paint is extremely shiny for about a week. My parts painted at different times don't match until they have been in the sun for a few days together.

I put on a base coat that isn't very thick, just enough to make everything green. I wait at least 15 minute (or until the wet shiny look is gone) before I do the second coat. I put this one on real thick. Just a hair before it will start running. When doing my hood a week ago, I still had a lot of paint left in the gun when I was done with my second coat. I didn't want to throw it out and decided to do a third coat to the hood. I ran out with about 1/4 left. I could see the difference while it was wet. 2 hours later and it looked perfect. No difference. So, as long as you got at least 2 coats on, don't worry about finishing every single panel you start if you are going to add more.

Surface prep. I have treated the parts I paint like anything else and sand like crazy to make it smooth and clean. The paint seems to stick great. I had some more extra the other day and since my almost paintless flat bed trailer was parked next to the shop, I decided to use the paint up on the end of the bed of it. i shot a 2'x7' section without any prep at all. Surface rust, old paint, cat hair, dog hair, bird dropings, etc... It stuck and dried looking good. I had Colton try to wear it off a few days later. A 7 year old with a ball, bat and toy cars didn't make the paint come up. I am really impressed with this lead based paint.

I put my freshly painted hood on the truck Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning I had to take a bail of hay to my horses. This involves sticking the front of my truck into some woods so I can get the 6' 2000 pound round bale exactly where I want it. I have done this several dozen times before with the old paint and didn't think anything about it yesterday either. Until, I was done and walked around the truck. I had a bunch of little scrapes on my paint. They looked like chalk marks that the tree branches had made. I wetted my finger and they were gone. They didn't come back either. Since my hood is still pretty shiny, I suspect that it is still curing. Even though it has been sitting in my metal shop in 100+ degrees for 9 days since I painted it. I like this paint a lot and recommend it to anyone.

Default boghog :

Re: Gillespie Paint
    Post by boghog on Jul 31, 2006, 1:42pm

Thanks again for the input. I just painted the bed of my truck with the same USMC green I was getting a little worried about the shine. I will wait and see how it looks once it is pulled outside and gets some sun on it. I am also using the 2:1 ratio with the results being great. No runs, except where I tried to make it run on the front of the bed, between the cab and bed.
    Like yours, mine is slowly turning green!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 31, 2006, 2:51pm

Fisherman thinned it just 10%, if that. Also USMC green. Dried to barely tacky in half a day and flattened out a few hours after shooting. Fisherman will probably chime in about it too. Of course, his spray equipment might have made a difference, allowing for a thicker spray. I don't know. But he warned me to thin it no more than 10% even if I use my cheap-o Costco spray gun.

But we did my entire truck in two thick coats, including the inside of the bed and cab, and used only 1-1/2 gallons.

And I agree wholeheartedly with everything Tim says about the paint. It's great stuff!!! Mine's cured a month now and I've just kept the truck parked under cover. I've been out there painting (spray cans) the b/o driving light, window frames, top bows, etc., today and the rattle cans perform the same way. I don't think I have any new runs that the military didn't put on there for me, either. Good stuff.

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Jul 31, 2006, 2:54pm

There seemed to be some concern about the semi-gloss black... Anyone had a chance to see if it will flatten out as well??

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Jul 31, 2006, 4:05pm

Good tech. Barrman. My experience with the Gillespie is similiar. I tried mineral spirits, and xylene. Xylene maybe dried a little quicker, didn't really seem to notice the difference. I used the Xylene on Tims truck first just to see if it would lift his primer and old paint, it didn't . Just kidding Tim. Again I only reduced maybe 10% not two to one. It was plenty thin enough for me, I wouldn't want it any thinner. I was using a siphon feed cup gun, not gravity feed. I like to spray most coatings just thin enough to lay out smooth, but as thick as you can get away with, thus reducing the chance to run it and at the same time putting more product on the surface for better protection. I have now sprayed almost 3 gallons, the other day I sprayed it straight from the can, I was shocked the next morning when it was dry, it was gloss USMC green, not semi-gloss. I added Xylene to the gallon shook it up and resprayed, the second coat was semi-gloss just like all my other pieces. So far so good, not one run on 1 and a half trucks painted. I will continue to use the xylene probably, but if you can't get it no problems using mineral spirits either. Make sure you mix or stir very well. Fisherman

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 1, 2006, 8:49am

What size tip are you using on your gun? I have a 1.2mm and a 1.7 mm. I looked up the spray specs on the net and after converting to mm, the 1.2 is right on.

Here is my top half green, bottom blue and mud 396

I drove the truck to work yesterday and today. I still haven't smelled any paint burning off from around the exhuast ports. I am impressed with this paint.

Here is my trailer after I sprayed the left over paint on it. You can see that I have not prepped the surface any at all. It still sticked though. I was planning to wire wheel the entire bed down, prime it and then paint it. If this holds up after I haul trucks, cars, junk, bales of hay. I might just degrease and shoot. It will have to wait until Thanksgiving time though. I don't have a way to keep the entire trailer out of the sun while painting and drying. It should be no hotter than 80 or so by then and will work ok.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Aug 1, 2006, 10:47am

The tip sizes for the type of spray guns I use range from a 1 thru 5, I mostly use size 3 or 4 not sure of the mm size.

Default porkchop :

Post by porkchop on Aug 1, 2006, 12:58pm

I used a 2:1 mix as well. I put three to four coats all over my truck. I painted each part with two or three coats, depending on the size of it and the time I had. Then when I assemblied the truck I put two more coats all over the whole truck. This is of course USMC green. Still to this day if I get a small brush scratch, or I should say if something rubs against it in the garage since it is a permanant garage feature, it rubs off with a little water.

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 1, 2006, 1:39pm

You guys are gonna be doing a lotta rubbing after the FE at my place. Just saying...

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 1, 2006, 2:57pm

I suppose that means to bring chainsaws, eh?

Actually, I am interested in how the paint holds up to running through brush. I don't feel like wasting the XZL's on mesquite trees, but I plan to drive it like I have before and see how it holds up.