Thread: Stock M715 Pinion Angles?

Default Stock M715 Pinion Angles?

Hi All,
    I recently bought an M715 without the axles mounted and I am planning on mounting 1999-04 Super Duty axles on the factory leaf springs. As a result, I need to move the spring pads on the axles using the Barnes 4WD kit. Because I am not planning on doing a lift, I would like to mount the axles using the factory pinion angle.

Does anyone have the factory stock front and rear axle pinion angles, front and rear transfer case pinion angles, and front and rear driveshaft angles? I am sure they have been posted before but I searched and haven't found them.

Thanks

I wish I had your answer on the stock measurements. Hopefully a member with a protractor will chime in. I have a digital protractor and after setting up a NP205 in the same mounts as the stock NP200 I matched the rear axle (Dodge dana 70) pinion angle to the transfer case yoke. I did subtract half a degree to compensate for pinion climb under load. The spring packs are so thick I new it would move but probably not by much. I am wondering if you got your gear boxes set, if you could go from there. And hopefully someone will answer up on your question. If you are doing a build, post it up. It is always cool to see that kind of work. And welcome aboard.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I found this was posted in 2015....not exactly the answer to the stock angle but it seems it would give you a correct angle...

If you have a smart phone download the free app called tremec. The app uses your phone as a angle finder, and makes you measure at 3 locations on your drive line. It will then give you your degree that you axle needs to be at for correct drive shaft angle.
    looks like its now called tremec tool box and looks like it would do the trick if no one can actually measure the stock number for you...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hopefully someone will still answer the original question. But here is one of the links to calculating driveshaft angles. My other link is down for now. I used this as one of the many sites to get my rear axle set up in relation to my transfercase out put yoke.

https://spicerparts.com/calculators/...gle-calculator

From Dennys driveshaft site.

How much driveline angle is right for my application?

Thats a loaded question. The best answer is....the least amount of driveline or u-joint angle is the best amount of angle. Try to achieve the least amount of u-joint angle but don't make it less than 1 degree. A little known fact about u-joints is that they require about 1 degree of operating angle to get the needle bearings rotating. If they do not rotate they will fail. Too much angle will also cause them to fail. The type of rear suspension also plays a big part in setting the angles as well as the engine/transmission angle. Leaf spring cars have a need for more downward pinion angle due to spring wrap-up while coil spring cars control the situation better. Hard acceleration as in the case of a drag race car requires a different setting than a street driven car. Traction bars, ladder bars, 4 links, independent rears all have special needs and requirements.

I also have some really good tech sheets on this at home in the shop. But they are hard copies I have had for years. From spicer corp. I hope all this is helping.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Thanks. I've used the digital angle finders before without issue, but in this case, I don't have axles or driveshafts to measure