Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumpers

The bumper that is on my truck now is shot and I am looking at my options for a new one. I am going to run a winch when I build it, so I will have to do something for that. There is a set of winch bumpers for sale on Ebay right now for just under $100 (item # 2453528782), is this worth buying? Or do you think I should fabricate something? I was thinking maybe I could make one similar to what was on the origonal Power Wagons. Thanks.

Default M715 Fire Truck on Ebay

depends on what kind of look you want to keep. Those ebay items are probably NOS since AB Linn is selling them... If it were me I'd make something smaller and tucked in, but I'm not really into the original trucks.
    If you're going to fab something, why not fab up factory replacment style bumpers?
    **I heart Bump_r **

I could probably fab a factory replacment bumper farley easy, but I dont know if I want to go factory style or not. If I could find something I think would make the truck look better then I will do it.

Those bumpers on EBay are worthless unless you have or plan to acquire the brackets to go with them AND the original winch...$$$...cause they all sorta bolt together.
    -G-
    Mine just keeps getting taken further apart.

Maybe it\'s all the beer.

You could always make it look like it was smiling...lol.
    If you don't want the original look then I would think your are only hampered by your imagination and skills.
    Zone holster maker

I thought about useing a pice of tubing the same size of the stock bumper and cut out the back side where the frame mounts so that it don't stick out further than stock. I would also beef up the gussets on the outside of the frame seem how mine are tweeked in a bit. It would look close to stock but would be alot stronger.

I would make one similar to a Warn winch bumper.Have the bumper extensions angled back towards the fender on each side and then put expanded steel or diamond tread on the top so you have a nice platform to stand on if you want to wrench on your rig.Be sure and have some good supports/braces from the frame to the bumper extensions.

-Ben

Joe/IA built one that sounds almost exactly like what Ben described. Fits the truck very nicely also incorporates the stock lift/tow shackles. I have some pictures you can see it in but it's kinda muddy(!!!). Joe probably has some of it clean.

Default 2004FE Schedule

Send it to me, Ill look at as many bumpers as I can and see if I can get some ideas on how to make mine.

Cap'n,

Here's some crappy pics of my bumper. It's plenty stout and has a 4" flat top to stand on. I got a Ramsey 12000# winch in it. I got it fabbed at a local place- drew up the plans and he made it for $250.