Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flywheel ring gear source

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Ring gear or whole flywheel?

I know that some enterprising (read... cheap) guys have heated the ring gear, removed it and turned it over on some flywheels. Don't know if that applies here. However, if a whole tooth is missing, it is a no-brainer.
    I could do that, but there is no reason to since new ones are easily available. it has had a bad spot for a while when the starter went bad. and have decided its time

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    I could do that, but there is no reason to since new ones are easily available. it has had a bad spot for a while when the starter went bad. and have decided its time
    Absolutely! Since you sourced an NOS ring gear, it would be a bit silly to keep the new gear and turn over the old, chewed up one. The only way that I would turn over that ring gear would be if a new one was unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I got one of those NOS flywheels from AB Linn for around that price, and it must have been a factory second. The ring gear wasn't seated correctly on the flywheel, and it had part of the wheel broken off.

They refunded my money, and told me to keep it.
    I will have to see if the one that I have looks like that; I hope not.

if you heat that ring gear quickly with a torch without it transferring the heat too fast to the wheel, it will drop on, the chip on there will never effect the balance on an engine like this. I think someone tried to get it off with a chisel or prybar and broke it, then reboxed it. just my opinion

Duane

I put the flywheel in the freezer, and the ring gear in a 350-degree oven. You have to be quick and deliberate, but it'll drop right onto the flywheel.