Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CPO Dave's restoration thread. (Ser#14690)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CPO Dave's restoration thread. (Ser#14690)

29 OCT 2013

OK- to help stop clogging up things around here. I'll use this as my restoration page for updates to my 1967 M715 Serial # 14690, affectionately know around here as "War Pig" (and "that other thing" to my girlfriend). I'll leave my other posts as stand and pick up from today on forth here.

History- Not much known about 14690. Purchased by me from John Calwell out of Waxahatchie, Texas for a good price. John is a great man. I've always wanted a 715 since I was a wee youngin' diddy bopping around Fort Dix, New Jersey. Well, I got one. This is one from the massive sales from Colorado a few years back as far as I can tell, bearing the markings of "Archuleta County Fire Control", Truck #149. It's painted puke fire yellow, directly over the original semi gloss OD Green.

Vision- Restore back to 1967 with "slight" minor modifications for dependability and above all, SAFETY.

Problems- Not many. I have a 1100 square foot heated garage, wide variety of tools, large refrigerator normally filled with beer, 24 years of US Navy Engineering experience and will power. The checkbook isn't as fat as I wish (who's is eh?) Biggest problem is no access to commercial sandblasting equipment and heavy duty compressors. Most work will have to be done using angle grinders and wire wheels and old fashioned elbow grease.

I'll try to date stamp all updates so others may get an idea of time frames to accomplish tasks.

I'm sure I'll have hundreds of questions along the pathway of restoration. These I'll try to post separately, so others seeking the same problems may find them easier with the problem solvers getting credit on this post and the others posts.

Bear with me and as up to now, thanks greatly so far for the info, resources, advice and parts offers. This is a wonderful group.

I look forward to posting many successes and great pictures to share.

Best wishes from Newport News, Virginia

Dave Zelinski, EMC (SW/AW/Craftmaster) USN, Ret.
    (Ham Radio, General W4CPO)
    Even Chuck Norris drove a 715.

I'm looking forward to following your project with all of the pictures.
    I's like deja vu for me, as I had been dissasembling my yellow M715 just eight months ago.
    If you have the area outside to make a mess, you can get by with a 10 gallon Chinese pressure pot sandblaster and a two stage, 5-6 horse air compressor. A sandblast cabinet is a plus also. Your heated garage is a big plus
    Don't hesitate to ask questions and keep the pictures coming.

We'll start out with the work area. This is my detached garage. it's a 1100 square foot facility, 2 story. Ground level is where all the magic will happen I hope. It's a drive through garage with doors on both sides. Heated by a 80,000 BTU forced air ceiling heater. It's alarmed and has video, smoke, heat and Carbon Monoxide sensors. (I have friends in the business). It's my get-a-away from the live in girlfriend. It also houses my Emergency Ham Radio gear. Upstairs is a 2 bedroom full bath, full kitchen, heated and air conditioned apartment. The entire facility is on it's own metered electric feed and is serviced via a 275 AMP service panel. The entire facility has digital cable TV and high speed internet.

Everything in the garage is a complete mess right now as I can't keep up with friends helping out with disassembly given my current paying job work schedule. Bagging, tagging and pre disassembly/removal photo ID is a chore. They show up when I'm not here and start working. Add to that, my live in long time girlfriend's ability to take boxes of newly arrived parts and dump them into the pile without telling me Some of my Ham Radios are on a bench by the tool boxes. I usually listen and sometimes chime in when I'm wrenching on War Pig.

Somewhere under the mess, by the wall cabinets, is my MIG, TIG and AC/DC stick welders :-p

30 October 2013-

And today we find the original Borg Warner transmission tag underneath 4 inches of dirt, grunge, grease and gunk. WOO-HOO!!!!!

Man, you got ALOT of room. I have a good shop, but it has to house two daily drivers. Pull them out, do some work, put them back in, etc. gets old real fast.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

very sweet!!

Default Great Record of Restoration

This is an inspirational record of your restoration, and you have done a swell job! Tip 'o my hat!

Love the man cave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Yep.
    I'm digging the Man Cave Work Area too.

Lights rock. Concrete rocks !
    I'm on dirt under a car port, no door, scorpions and a drop light.
    And its raining...lol and there are wild hogs and coyotes...literally next to me lol

Is that an 86 Sportster 883 sitting there... with the Evo Motor?

Man... just nice. Tv and radio... fridge...heat... Where is the Dog ...lol

Yep... looks like you got a good truck from Caldwell too.
    He is about 65 minutes away from me.
    I almost bought one from him too... Great Guy.

Thanks for the photos and the ultimate design goal...

Blitz

When can I move in? Then we can both work on our trucks