Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new project: Pig.

Default My new project: Pig.

So, I bought a California homed M715 here on the board. It's already had an engine swapped into it, so I don't feel bad about further mods.

The Plan: Make an M715 more reliable, ride better and use off the shelf parts. Want to find all wearables at a VatoZone.

This will be a tow rig and parts getter for the most part. It's in CA still, so a shop I trust does the work or Glenn hauls it back for me and I do the work.

Major stuff, but I do want to spend some time looking it over, I do not want to break down on the way back with my son.

M715 frame and F350 frame are basically the same dimensions where it matters.

Front axle and suspension: Ford SD HP 60 with 4.30 gears, I have the steering and track bar from the truck. Frame will need radius arm, track bar, coil spring and shock mounts.

I already own the front axle - could also just source one out there and use the one I have for something else.

Choice on the radius arms, springs and shocks - could use factory, could use Ruffstuff's kit, it does come unwelded.

Rear axle that matches the front, remount leaf springs with double captured hangers. I'd like to go with a late model 1 ton leaf spring set to get longer springs. As the axle is wider, we can locate it however we want on the frame.

Thinking F350 rear.

Same wheel base. 39 to 42" tires that will take the weight of a 5/4 ton truck.

Divorced Ford NP205. Truck has a divorced NP 200 already, that drops on the other side. All M715 linkages, parking brake, etc to cross to the NP205.

Brake booster, master cylinder, brake lines/hoses and proportioning valve to support the four wheel disk brakes. Might as well use a 2005 Ford F350 set up. Do not have it.

J20 power steering box and SBC power steering pump. Ujoints on the sector shaft... I don't do rag joints. Do not have it.

Suspension seats and 3 point harness' (after seeing the pics of the seats...). Do not have it, thinking PRP with some 3 point harness.

So, stay tuned to Project Pig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grendel; May 1st, 2019 at 08:32 PM.

Congrats on your new M715 baby! As you upgrade... be sure to send pics.

If I haul it out for you there will be a Ford divorce mount 205 that will follow me out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    If I haul it out for you there will be a Ford divorce mount 205 that will follow me out for you.
    Hmn, feel like dropping that at Fastenal for me?
    Last edited by Grendel; May 1st, 2019 at 08:38 PM.

So I dropped some pics of where things are.

Something funny... a 2005 F305 and a 68 Kaiser M715 share the same frame dimensions where it counts.

Ruff Stuff Fab and WFO both make a kit to put radius arms and a late mode (2005+) Ford F250/350/450/500 axle onto a frame like ours.

Add some coil and shock mounts and you have a much nicer riding truck that will handle all the weight.

Those axles have 1550 U joints and MASSIVE brakes.

I plan to use a matching rear axle, as both have 4.30 gears and disk brakes.

I plan to replace the rear single shear springs with something that will ride a bit nicer... since I am using a wider axle, I can place the frame hangers where ever I want and weld new spring perches onto the axle.

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Hmn, feel like dropping that at Fastenal for me?
    I can but I won't be home until mid June. Let me know where you want it shipped to.

Default F350 suspension

Grendel, nice score on this truck!

As you progress, please post links to the stuff you use to do this suspension mod to the late model axles, etc. That would be very, very helpful.

Well, that's easy.

2005 Ford F350 front Super 60 in a 4.30 gear ratio. Using the Ford upper spring buckets that also included a shock mount.

Have yet to pick up the coil springs or shocks, but I think they will be stock F350 stuff. That gives me frame and axle mounts for springs and shocks.

I plan to use this for the frame side radius arm mounts and radius arms.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2348.html

J20 or maybe the F350 steering box and pit man arm, too. Should be able to get the stock steering linkage to work.

Will need a pan hard bar mount.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...g/PAN-OUT.html

Using a 2009 GMC K3500 hydro boost, master cylinder with a 1999 K3500 brake proportioning valve for all four disk brakes.

Will bend up all metric stainless brake lines with stainless brake hoses for the F350.

2009 Ford F350 rear end, with e-locker and 4.30 gears. Also used rear spring hangers, shackle hangers, shackle mounts and shock mounts from this truck. Got a rear frame cut for it. Used the rear sway bar, too. Literally, took every bracket from this, like a high plains buffalo from back in the day. Overloads, everything.
    Last edited by Grendel; May 8th, 2019 at 11:40 AM.

Oh and a 45 amp plasma cutter and a Miller 252 MIG

Following along on this one
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205