Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: truckin : 4BT cummins

Default offroaderm715 :

Re: 4BT cummins
    Post by offroaderm715 on Jun 6, 2006, 10:21pm

Bob, out of curiosity what would it cost for parts and labor to have a 4BT, NV4500 and np205 installed, also what is the time frame start to finish?

Thanks

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 6, 2006, 11:25pm

you picked the highest dollar swap you could.engines start at 1500.00 for a take out, trans. runs 1000.00 and up useually, finding a dodge divorced t-case 250.00 and up. hope you got deep pockets. time frame 4-10 weeks depending how far you want to go.1500.00 plus materials for labor. fuel milage i,ve found to be 18 to 24 mpg.
    bob

Default bigwheelbob :

Post by bigwheelbob on Jun 7, 2006, 8:10pm

Sounds reasonable to me!

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 8, 2006, 12:08am

I agree, I was expecting a big $$$$ figure.
    I'm a low buck project guy...but $4,250 just to walk up and have it done is a better deal than most will realize.

Default truckin :

Post by truckin on Jun 8, 2006, 10:36am

That is great price, but you still have to figure in the cost of the new gears or axle swaps, I have a guy locally who will do a gear swap for $200 per. Is this a good price? I'm a little scared to do it myself because I have a habit of getting frustrated and saying thats good enough and leaving stuff half assed.

Default jeepistdougiowa :

Post by jeepistdougiowa on Jun 8, 2006, 4:29pm

$200 isn't bad. If you're not familiar with doing them, pay someone who is...otherwise you could very well end up ruining the gears and paying for them, and the install next time around.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 8, 2006, 6:03pm

keep in mind these are minumum prices !!! there alot to take into account. like shipping, gas to get parts, does the engine need o/h, clutch setup, bellhousing setup, does the trans need O/H , drive shafts, motor mounts, new radiator, p/s pump, a/c compressor, air filter assy, fuel tank mod. for return fuel line. buy the time your done CORRECTLY it 10,000 to 15,000 bucks is my sperience.
    bob

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 9, 2006, 11:47pm

Lee found a Frito-Lay truck with a running 4BT, 2wd NV4500 for less that $800 if I remember right. He sold the rest of the truck for more than $1000 once he pulled the parts he needed. If you can find a complete vehicle with the parts you need, you can usually make money on the deal if you are patient and know what you are doing. I have been working on a local guy for a '73 Dodge 4x4 truck with a divorced NP205. I am trying to get the truck for $180.00. I know I can get that and a lot more our of the parts I don't take. It just takes time.

By the way, I was at Bob's shop in March. He does really good work and has pallets of engines all over the place. Finding someone that has experience doing this kind of thing is almost more valuable than the parts if you are not going to do it yourself.