Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: robertcowan : any 6bt cummins in a m715

Default barrman :

Re: any 6bt cummins in a m715
    Post by barrman on Jun 5, 2006, 3:28pm

Wow Bob. Lee said it wouldn't do more than 68 with the XL tires. Glad you got it running good. I'll bet the owner is a lot happier now too.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 5, 2006, 3:49pm

HE was real unhappy when he brought it to me. i noticed it seemed real noisey but after further checking i never seen a engine that far out of adjustment on the valves except wild cammed engines. sure picked up the power then with a little fuel turnned to it . it was a little sports car drivin aroung town and never fell off on the interstate on the long grades. just got a small puff of black somke when you shift gears ( normal for a cummins when its right on ) and as soon as the boost came up some off she went again. he was so happy when he got home he called me at midnight and said he didnt know what i did but it was right on. that little engine has 367lbs of torque stock. pretty good for a 237cu.inch. engine huh ?
    bob

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 5, 2006, 4:08pm

I am seriously considering the 4bt for the Suburban... looking into what kind of power upgrades it can take first though, or I might just go with another 6bt... The one I'm putting in the K30 was pretty impressive in the truck we took it out of... I love the torque!

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 6, 2006, 8:06am

Please post pictures and tech if you put it in the Suburban Tacoma. I have been thinking of that myself.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 6, 2006, 4:22pm

I"ll post pics of the 6bt swap I'm doing this week.. heheh

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Jun 9, 2006, 5:10pm

If I recall from the old site... there were fan clearance issues with the Cummins 6. I think the prevailing thought was to go electric.

Hope this helps,
    Snuffy

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 9, 2006, 10:43pm

cummins makes 3 different fan heights for these engines most dont know all that is available for them as they dont have the parts manuel or options book. cummins wont sell them ????? why i dont know. i scrounged up a couple from former cummins shop formans i,ve dealt with for the past 2 decades or i wouldnt have one. you,d be surprised at what alls available for them.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Jun 12, 2006, 1:38pm

I got the August issue of Petersons 4Wheeler over the weekend. Somebody wrote in asking about putting a 6BT in a Suburban. They recomended these sites. Kind of interesting reading.

http://www.cummins-conversion.com/photos/index.php

http://www.fordcummins.com/

http://www.autoworldmt.com/Page_9.html

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 12, 2006, 10:48pm

well well..

Didn't get to drop the Cummins in, as Spicergimp is hobbling about on crutches.... and the weather was pretty sh*tty in PA, too. So all the pics will have to just wait.

I will say this: a GM Cummins swap is pretty d**n easy, and that's just how it is LOL

There is plenty of room for everything, intercooler, huge AT cooler, etc. Very little headache for those with mechanical inclination.

I should be home by Thursday, and would like to get into the truck this coming weekend. Pics will be posted, along with measurements for those so inclined. No "I heard this...", I'll post up what I find. Stay tuned, Batbuddies.