Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: only1jp : engine swap questions?

Default only1jp : engine swap questions?

engine swap questions?
    Post by only1jp on May 7, 2006, 7:42pm

Anyone have any recommendations on which type of headers to use on a chevy V8 conversion mating to the stock T98? Blockhugger, shorty, full length, street rod, tight tuck? I'd like to be able to reach the plugs without being too much of a contortionist! Also what size clutch assembly? I have the Novak kit for the rest.

Default gimpyrobb :

Re: engine swap questions?
    Post by gimpyrobb on May 7, 2006, 7:54pm

I think most use the "ram head" manifolds.

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on May 7, 2006, 8:58pm

I used rams horks as well. I was concerned about clearance around the clutch linkage with the rear exit manifolds. I am sure that you could find some rear exit to work, but the rams horns were a slam-dunk.

Default only1jp :

Post by only1jp on May 7, 2006, 9:09pm

I was hoping to get better exhaust flow with a set of headers, might have to compromise some.....

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on May 7, 2006, 9:31pm

There are a few headers that replicate the shape of rams horns. I followed the advice of the owner of a local speed shop who basically told me that in the RPM range that most 4 X 4 operate, rams horns work just as well as headers. He said that from idle to 3000 RPM, headers don't add much. I do not know how valid that train of thought is, but it was enough info for me to change my mind from headers.

Default compexp :

Post by compexp on May 7, 2006, 10:06pm

I used shortys on mine - I'll try and post the link tomorrow - no clearance problems.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 7, 2006, 10:07pm

Depends on the type of headers...shorty types do much better at low RPM...long tube ones work better up high...

Default only1jp :

Post by only1jp on May 7, 2006, 10:31pm

I'm doing an all forged 383 with Dart heads, I would hate to restrict the exaust flow with "stock" parts..... kinda defeats the purpose of the high $$$$ heads. No offense.... Clearance is my biggest concern, but if the block hugger, or tight tuck's work, I know they'll be my first choice.

Default kevins :

Post by kevins on May 8, 2006, 8:03pm

I used block hugger type on mine, you can go to the URL below for pics on what they look like. Its a 454 if you can't read the 7.4 on the block.
    All the plug wires are easy to get to and this motor spins to 6k without any restriction. At least it did until I went from duel to single exhaust out the back due to excessive noise "neighbor" problem.

http://www.geocities.com/ckswayze/index.html

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on May 9, 2006, 11:10am

if you want to be pickey use vette 2 1/2" ram horn manifolds. although stock ones work perfect off passenger cars. its what i,ve used for years. clears winch pto shaft nicely also.
    got some if you need some too.
    bob