Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: calpyro : Clocking a NP 205?

Default calpyro :

Re: Clocking a NP 205?
    Post by calpyro on Jul 1, 2006, 9:31am

Nice work! I am looking to have the case dropped approximately 3"-4" inches. I think that it will help with the exhaust routing. Good tip about the PTO fill hole. Where did you get it?

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 1, 2006, 10:16am

It just occured to me, Chuck's Trucks and a few others are running the NP 200 straight up and down and they claim no ill effects. You might want to contact them for some pointers.

Chris

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jul 1, 2006, 11:21am

With the NP 200, all of the gears turn, so if the bottom gears are in the oil, you would think that they would slop enough around to lube the whole box.
    Now with the 205, only the input and rear output are spinning in 2WD. So.... if I clocked the transfer case down so the oil is below the level of the input and rear output, I assume that they might not have enough lube spinning to lube the box.
    Now, stay with me, with the case clocked so that the front output is low, and If I filled the case with enough oil to reach the bottom of the input gears, it seams that there would be adequate lubrication. Just bouncing ideas here. Will it work?

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 1, 2006, 11:32am

All the gears are turning in there in the 205, but you're only transmitting torque straight through to the rear output.

Chris

Default luckypabst :

Post by luckypabst on Jul 1, 2006, 11:38am

For reference:

#19 is the input, one piece gear and shaft, it's meshed to #15 on the large diameter. #4 and the 2 #10's are meshed to #15 as well - as long as the input is spinning, so are all the other gears in the case.

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jul 1, 2006, 1:10pm

Thanks for the clarification

Default elliott :

Post by elliott on Jul 1, 2006, 4:02pm

The GM 205 comes clocked down ~3"s so you won't have a problem running it that way or probably even an inch lower. IMO, I would do everything I could to clock it flat and work with the driveline angle as opposed to hanging the front output down like a crappy GM 4x4

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jul 1, 2006, 5:30pm

I am open to suggestion and helpful advice. Right now the front U joints bind pretty bad. My only solution so far is to use Tom Woods U Joints http://www.4xshaft.com/Super-Flex.html which have some disadvantages of vibration. When I go to a married transfer case, I will make the angles a bit worse by shortening the front drive line. Which is the lesser evil?

Default elliott :

Post by elliott on Jul 1, 2006, 8:26pm

Have you checked out http://www.highangledriveline.com/ ? SOA is not that big of a deal and you should be able to clock it flat with the right driveline. Even running your truck with a stock GM clocking really drops your belly which effectively negates a lot of benefit of gaining ground clearance so I'd spend the money for some good drivelines and highangle has 'em.
    It will be Highangle/long travel drivelines going in my shorty Gladiator on tons with a doubler.

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jul 2, 2006, 4:59pm

I really can't imagine how your angles are that bad. It's not that big a lift... and the front driveshaft is plenty long.