Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I 'm running a chev 350 with the stock cooling system. tues while driving to work I noticed steam coming from the hood the temp was running at 185 just like it allways does, so when I got to work I looked at the radiator and it has a hole in it not big but enough to irk me real good. My question is ; does anybody here run a radiator in the box of their truck and if so how well does it work? I already have a four core from a full size van and elec fans. would I need to vent it some how? This truck is for fun only so hauling loads will be done with another truck or a trailer.

dang this site is cool.

I am seriously considering putting an aluminum one in the bed of mine. Run two puller fans on it. And get one that is BIG. Also very cheap this way because you can buy a racing aluminum one with no brackets for about $200.
    The ones I have seen mounted were at an angle with the top tilted towards the cab of the truck.
    I for one would interested in seeing how other people have done this as well.

Desert racers have used this approch for years. Check Ivan Stewart's rigs.

Got another idea: Check how HMMWVs do it in the front (yup, the radiator is nearly horizontal on them things - maybe you can get some CHEAP MIL-SPEC Hummer stuff and "keep it in the family"- a section of hummer hood, with grille, radiator, 'lectric fan underneath would look GREAT up near the bulkhead of a M715!
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

OR you could g RALLY nuts, and use a hydraulic fan a la Grand Cherokee (uses P/S system). While you're running hydro lines, why not tie in your hydro winch? The get Spicer's heavy equipment brake system and be "stylin' tight". It makes a lot of sense to move radiator to the bed (if haulng's out of your trucks future), and what you can do from there is almost limitless. Move your coolant reservour there make room in engine bay, improve weight bias). If you go with 'lectric fans, may as well move the battery (ies) back there, too. Once you cross that line of relocating, there's a host of other "stuff" to follow.

Exactly, getting rid of the radiator allows for a LOT of changes. You would be amazed at the difference in heat without the radiator blowing hot air over the motor. Of course this isn't so good in the really cold weather.
    I was thinking about shortening the front of the truck actually. I would have it end at the front spring hanger with the bumper barely sticking out from there.
    Then (actually first on things for me to actually do), I will bob the bed to end at the back spring hanger/shackle.

A while back I was making pictures to show Pascal ideas, and this is what I came up with.
    This is based on a wagoneer/cherokee frame for length.

Oh, and do remember that I am running 44" tires. So the tires would stick out further then the bumpers!
    Bascially what I am thinking of doing is having my truck look like this, but with the additional length between the tires that the M715 frame has, just chop each end for the length that I want.

You know guys I think we are on to somthing here. I've already got my batteries and fuse box in the bed, so
    why not go all the way. I figure it would be easy to plumb everything and I've been looking for a use for that four core.
    I travel gravel roads alot and everytime I pass a truck I just wait for a rock to come through and steam to start pouring out,
    this would take care of that situation. I like the Humvee idea that would look awesome, but alas the only junker I have in my yard is a
    66 chev 1/2 ton. I'm definitly thinking on bobing the bed back a few inchs.

Go here and find one. Get a (nearly) complete doghouse, and go from there. Genuis thought: Hinge the fan so it can drop away to vertical for easy radiator hose-outs without running muddy crapola into the fan motor.

http://www.govliquidation.com/

I'm going to mount the radiators in the back of the 715 short box. Plan on mounting them to the rear tipped towards the front. I'll have passenger seating back there also so there will be baffles to direst the air up thru a large opening in the box floor and then out the back. The old rad opening will be home to my hyd winch. I plan on running a tube from the cab cage to the front of the truck on each side of the engine bay to provide support for the winch mounting plate. These tubes will have some sort of dissconnect to allow easy removal for working on the engine. In stead of shortening the front of the truck I think I am just going to slide the axle out a couple inches on the spring pack and use a revised perch with a different locating hole.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

hmmm, that looks like my truck. i like it though!