Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Wagoneer Column Install Issues

Default Super Wagoneer Column Install Issues

Technically, this is not on my M715, however, I will have the same problem when I go to do the install on the M715. Here is my problem:

I have scrounged up two Super Wagoneer tilt columns for use on two of my projects, 69 Commando and M715. There were not a lot of SW's made so these columns are rare. They are the same diameter tube as the M715, 60's Wagoneer (obviously) and Commando columns, have a tilt mechanism, no key (in the dash) and no shifter (SW's had console automatic shifter). Here is a picture showing a M715, SW, and Commando column:

The turn signal mechanism and switch on the SW columns is a bit strange. There is a cable that runs down through the column tube to the switch which is externally mounted on the lower part of the column (you can see it on the black column in the above pic). When the turn signal is pushed the cable moves the entire switch back and forth to make the electrical contact. The wiring harness connects to the switch via a female plug (switch on column has the male pins).

Both of my columns are complete and in excellent working condition. This past weekend we installed the black one show in the picture into my Commando and I plan on putting the red one I have in the M715 when we do the axle, hydroboost brakes and Saginaw steering swaps. Everything went fine and it looks good:

However, how the heck am I going to wire this thing??? I realized after the install that the wiring harness plug is just that, a wiring harness plug, a SW wiring harness plug! I don't have a SW wiring harness; I have a Commando (actually, new GM universal wiring harness) and a M715 wiring harness. I do not know of any other old GM vehicles that used this type of plug (I am sure there are because Jeep used GM columns up until Chrysler bought them) but I need to find one (two) or my SW columns are not going to work.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can find this switch?

Here's a better shot of the turn signal switch and plug:

Nice install Richard. You may have to cut the plug and rewire. There is someone I know who would most likely know how to do this. I know right now he is very busy. I think he bought a steering wheel from you. Kaiserjeeps probably would know. As he has one of those 69 wagoneers I believe. You might want to shoot him a Pm and see if he has some advice.

I just scored two wagoneers but havn't picked them up yet. I'll check the plug on these this weekend and see if it looks like what you're looking for. I assume you need the vehicle side of that plug?

Early 60's GM used them too. I may have a diagram that shows how the wiring needs to hook up, don't think I have any of the connectors but you could just use individual ends.

Default Steering wheel

Grantshire,
    That is a good looking steering wheel that you took off of the M715, how much would you sell it to me for? Email me at joel@chessonagency.com

That looks suspiciously like the '79 and earlier Ford tilt columns...

Quote Originally Posted by WetCJ View Post
    Early 60's GM used them too. I may have a diagram that shows how the wiring needs to hook up, don't think I have any of the connectors but you could just use individual ends.
    I know WetCJ has posted this before...not sure if it is the right thing though:

This shows the GM wiring at the bottom hooking to the stock wiring at the top.

Why not use the stock turn signal on the m715. Just clamp it to the steering column and go. Doesn't help the commando problem but then this is a M715 forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Nice install Richard. You may have to cut the plug and rewire. There is someone I know who would most likely know how to do this. I know right now he is very busy. I think he bought a steering wheel from you. Kaiserjeeps probably would know. As he has one of those 69 wagoneers I believe. You might want to shoot him a Pm and see if he has some advice.
    Thanks, Fisherman, I will send him a PM. This is an unusual switch type and cannot be cut and rewired. I have a couple of leads I am following and will report back what I find.