Thread: Question for Rockwell Guys

Default Question for Rockwell Guys

Considering Rockwell swap. But have some questions for the guys that have done it before.
    This is my question I've run 44 mudders in the past with stock dana 70 & 60. With a lift of just a inch more that a axle and shackle flip. I would only have a slight rub (front) if I really put it into a bind.
    Stock rear axle has WMS measurement of 72.5 inches, Front has a WMS measurment 73.5 inches.

With all that said if I swap to Rockwells with DimensionsWheel mounting flange-to-flange
    Front axle - 79 1⁄2 inches Hub flipped out. 69 1/4 hub flipped in
    Rear axle, single wheel configuration - 69 1⁄4 inches
    Rear axle, dual wheel configuration - 79 1⁄2 inches

The trucks i've seen with hubs fliped in for a 69 1/4 WMS looks like a much cleaner setup than the wheels fliped out at 79 1/2 WMS. But this configuration makes me wonder about two things 1 =rub problems with 44's since pulling the tire tigher under the finder. 2= with hubs flipped in are you stuck with pinion brakes or is there a solution for running disk brakes with hubs flipped in? at 69 1/4 WMS.??

I guess the best way to put it. I'm looking to get advise on Pros and Cons of hubs flipped in 69 1/4 WMS v 79 1/2 hubs flipped out.

All of these trucks are killer. Not looking to offend anyone about there choice of how they setup their Rockwell 715. Just looking for feedback from the ones that have done it and what they found to be best.

Thanks in advance for your advice
    CrashMorriss

The best thing to do, so you can keep the front hubs flipped out, and run disk brakes, is to narrow the long side by 7 1/2", and run 2 short side shafts.
    "Thanks for supporting your local 4 wheel drive shops"

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigWheelBob View Post
    The best thing to do, so you can keep the front hubs flipped out, and run disk brakes, is to narrow the long side by 7 1/2", and run 2 short side shafts.

Don't have rockwells but just curious - doesn't this make clearance with the oil pan an issue. With the diff centered and the top loader, would seem that you would need much more lift to clear.

I just put rockwells on mine, with a spring over and a 1" tall spring pearch there seems to be enough room to clear the oil pan. I don't think I will be able to run a high capacity oil pan like I wanted. Once I get the motor set in place I will fab up some bump stops to be safe and I should still have a few inches of up travel.

Bob. Thanks that's exactly the info I was looking for. That would put me at a 72 WMS. What do you think about Jesters comment is that a concern?

I've been aiming to stop by your shop. Your not that far from me.

Oil pan clearence is definitly a concern. Every vehicle is different though, so you will want to pay attention, and do whatever it takes for the proper clearence, i.e., bump stops, keep the engine a little hi, maybe add a touch of body lift, etc.
    "Thanks for supporting your local 4 wheel drive shops"

I put a body lift on mine to help clear my deep oil pan. Was still VERY close. And that was with the motor moved back some as well.
    Depends a lot on what motor and pan you are using though.

And you can always fine tune the overall width with different offset rims.

mine is running flip out hubs and 42" tire and have only a spring over .... for sure if you want 44 you will have to add some lift or install bumpstop. For the brake issue ... the fastest way and least expensive is going pinion brake. The best way is to call OUVERSON and have them shipped some 8 lugs hubs with disk conversion ( $3500 ) then you can have Stazworks build come nice custom beadlock for you ( $2000 ) Me i still have the stock brake drums .... with my military trailer and all the stuff it stop easilly 12500 pounds , but you will have to upgrade the brake system with bigger master and hydroboost. You can always make a conversion using f550 calipers and still using those 20" rims. I have more then $20k since summer 2008 in my 715 and solve almost every problems powering and stopping that beast. I installed a 6bta and the enormous oil pan clear the rock but if you planning hardcore wheeling you will need more clearance under it ... If you have some spare time ... look at my buildup , it may give some ideas .. Canadian build up !!!

Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Your truck is turning out very nicely.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Very Very Nice Ride Kamikazel. Man you every though about hooking that Clydesdale up to a tractor pull sled. I sure would pay to see that full pull. Thanks for the info.