Thread: 6.2 re-power questions

Default 6.2 re-power questions

need to tap the vast repository of knowledge!

does a 6.2 diesel have the same bell housing bolt patterns as a GM small-block (like a 350?).

when transplanting a motor and retaining the stock tranny, can anyone recommend an adapter (novak, advanced, other?) i'm looking for ease of installation for a novice mechanic.

besides motor mounts and tranny adapter plate, i think i'm going to need a donor GM standard shift bellhousing and clutch pack. anyone travelled this road before and know of significant land mines?

thanks in advance,
    jay

I am putting a 6.5 turbo into mine right now. Novak has a pretty good web site on converting the M-715's. I am using an Advance Adaptors Ranger gearsplitter as an adaptor between the T-98 trans and the GM bellhousing. Using the weld in motor mounts. You will need the 6.2 specific flywheel but can use a regular truck small block or big block bellhousing and clutch pack.

Great, thanks.

the 6.2 has the flywheel, but it was mated to an auto tranny. i think the novak offers a pilot bushing - will i have to bore out the auto crank to take the pilot bushing?

jay

Most cranks were for both auto and manual. But I could be mistaken. The 6.2 I have from a cuccv is gonna require a custom mount for the clutch linkage. I'll check the crank for a pilot bushing hole. Hopefully it's there. Novak's site addresses modifying the z-bar for a sbc, but the 6.2 doesn't have the block mounting holes for the bracket. The chevy bell has the ball stud for the z-bar to fit directly to, but it is too far back for the 715. The flywheel is kinda pricey if you don't have a core. Novak suggested using the larger bore bell housing but the kit I have has a spacer ring to allow for the smaller bore as well. I bought it from a member here and have not tried assembling any of it yet so my info might not be 100%.

Default other accessories required

starting the plan now, and realize i need more info:

buy a 6.2 - i think i'm going to need to by a bell housing and clutch package and throwout bearing, etc to go with it. from what i can tell, the novak adapter allows the re-use of the stock tranny, but not the re-use of the stock clutch package. does anyone know that for certain?

is the manual tranny flywheel for a 6.2 specific to that motor or commong between different motors?

i intend to go get a bellhousing for a manual tranny SBC - but will that bolt to the 6.2 or is there a special bellhousing requried that would have been specific to that motor?

as far as relocating the clutch linkage, that i might be able to fab up. with a little help from my friends...

thanks in advance.
    Jay

The 6.2 will accept the basic GM bellhousing. GM offered 2 different index bores. Be sure you adapter is designed for the b/h bore. The 6.2 flywheel is specific, I have seen them in 11 and 12 inch clutch versions.
    The Novak kit provides information that helps you to modify the existing M715 linkage parts for the swap.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Default 6.2 l diesel modification

I modified my M715 with a 6.2 l Diesel (It's not GM, it is a Detroit Diesel!) after I could not serve the Hanomag engine any more, which I used for more than 20 years.
    I used a GM #1 bell house and a home made adapter to the original trans. Clutch linkage is a mixture of home made and modified stock parts. The fly wheel is original GM stock, the clutch itself an aftermarket heavy duty 12" clutch, the make I forgot (a friend of mine ordered it for me). Pilot bearing was a little tricky, but I could manage it.
    The electric system for the engine I used the same as CUCV truck series (2 x 12 Volt), pre glow is modified, for the electronics is not reliable. Chevy glow plugs are 6 second glow plugs. Change to HUMMER plugs (24 Volts) and you can glow as long as your batteries survive. Generater stock mounts are not very precise, so I had to modify them for good alinement.
    After some initial problems the truck runs good now with over 350 engine hours (or over 12000 miles) by now.If you low your truck, you will be able to handel them all!