Thread: Engine rebuild

Exclamation Engine rebuild

My 68 is 100% original. That includes the engine, after sitting for several years I finally got it running but it isn't happy. Where can I find an engine rebuild kit and manual? Is it worth the time and effort or should I be looking at swap options? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rtech1841 View Post
    My 68 is 100% original. That includes the engine, after sitting for several years I finally got it running but it isn't happy. Where can I find an engine rebuild kit and manual? Is it worth the time and effort or should I be looking at swap options? Thanks!

Welcome to the Zone.

Kanter sells two overhaul kits for the 230 tornado. No experience with their parts sets, but they found me a NOS camshaft to exchange for my old one.
    Took good care of me.
    https://www.kanter.com/productdetail...Router=Gallery

I bought my parts "piece meal" from ebay, and various vendors. Took forever.

All of the manuals are at the top of the page. I simply printed off sections as I needed them, and took that to the garage for reference.
    You will get opinions both ways on whether to repower it, or to keep it original.

I completely restored my truck (engine and all), so I have enough experience to give further advice if you decide to keep it original.
    Last edited by jeepdan; November 8th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtech1841 View Post
    You'll want to decide what you want out of the truck. I wanted mine to drive and feel like it did in 1967 so I would have an authentic period experience with all the sensations that come with it. The 230 was essential to this idea, as it is with Dan's full nut-&-bolt resto. If you're plan is to drive an M715 around that can keep up with traffic, maybe cover some distance with an engine that is reliable, powerful with ready parts availability, the 230 (IMHO) likely isn't for you.

Bottom line to me is: if running a 230 isn't a specific choice, then you'll likely be better off in the long run with an SBC swap, for example.

I have a stock truck with the 230 except I went with the electronic ignition. It's more reliable then my daily driver. It always starts on the 1st crank.

I also wanted to drive it like it was supposed to be driven with the stock experience. It does just fine in town however I do not get on the expressway with it.
    Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by kyken View Post
    It does just fine in town however I do not get on the expressway with it.
    That pretty much says it right there.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I'm thinking I'm going to try and rebuild it for now and make it last a few years then try a 12V cummins swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    That pretty much says it right there.
    Same here, no Interstate 95!! But I still have everything original including the ignitor. Mine will start right up after sitting for over a month.

(I even went back to the old style directional signal box)

I am trying to revive my 230 in a 725 after it has sat for a few years. Do you have some time to give me pointers on the process? This is a restore with my Army Retiree son. I didn't want to hijack the post by my questions. I can PM you what I have tried/done so far. Thanks in advance if you have time to engage.
    Leave no soldier behind