Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rip68 : Plug Wire Problem

Default brute4c :

Re: Plug Wire Problem
    Post by brute4c on Nov 8, 2006, 5:15pm

The heater hose will melt there....ask Barrman....

The stock setup used a long J shaped pipe that had the long straight part of the J screwed into the head back there....I think I have a spare laying around...I can measure that so you have the idea of how long...like 4 to 6 inches...

Default stanman :

Post by stanman on Nov 8, 2006, 8:57pm

My heater hose dosent come out there. one comes out by the thermostat and one out of the water pump.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Nov 8, 2006, 9:32pm

The factory location for the hot water out of the engine to the heater is from the outlet between cylinders 5 and 6 on the head....they used this piece to keep the hose away from the exhaust:

Obviously an old one but nonetheless thats the idea...the stock heater kit in the manuals shows the same thing.
    I measured 5 ? inches from the threaded end to the start of the bend...to the back side of the pipe at the bend is 6 ? inches.

The plug wires measure as follows from shortest to longest, all in inches:

21 ?
    23 ?
    25 ?
    32 ?
    34 ?

Hope that helps....let me know if more is needed!!

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Nov 9, 2006, 9:38am

Yes, put at least a 4" pipe on that heater hose outlet. I had mine just like yours but with the hose zip tied away from the manifold more. The screw clamp will expand when it gets hot (Mine had kind of a glow to it after a 30 mile run at 50mph pulling 8,000 pounds) and besides the rubber in the hose itself not liking the heat, the little slots in the clamp that keep it tight will get snapped off during the expansion process. Then it will leak when it cools down or like in my case. When the sun has gone down and you are going home with no load and have coasted down a mile long hill. That is not a spot you want to be working on when the engine is warmed up.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 9, 2006, 10:04am

Well, after measuring my cable length and cross referancing Jon's cable length I have come to the conclusion that... yours is longer than mine Jon. LOL

18 5/8
    20 1/4
    24 1/8
    25 5/8

I called the local surplus store that I bought these from & he said that he has another set in stock. (He bought them from Antelope Valley) So in a day or two I'll make my way up there and exchange them (After I measure them). Thanks again Jon.

I'll also look into getting a J stand - off pipe for the heater hose made. Would brass be to soft of a metal to use for this application? What do you think Barrman?

Also I would like to thank adk4X4, vrod02 & airborne for there input.

Default adk4x4 :

Post by adk4x4 on Nov 9, 2006, 11:00am

Sorry to hear about the shortness. Your discussion of the heater hose reminded me of my heater connection. I was wondering if it was right because I didn't get any heat from mine, although I think the thermostat is stuck open or missing so I haven't really investigated anything. Short of it is, the heater kit I bought included a brass extention pipe and valve for this connection. So far it works good although the motor hasn't gotten above 120 as far as I can tell with the old gauges and electrical issues. So I would say, go for it in brass.

Default adk4x4 :

Post by adk4x4 on Nov 9, 2006, 12:36pm

By the way, who's your local surplus store? I'm close by and wish I could drive to a local shop.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Nov 9, 2006, 1:13pm

Brass will work. Just remember that it is softer than steel and will bend/break/snap off real fast if you try and get it "gorilla" tight.

Default rip68 :

Post by rip68 on Nov 9, 2006, 1:33pm

Thanks Barrman, that's what I thought too.

adk4x4, I haven't had a chance to see if my heater or winch works being that my motor isn't running. When it was running I only drove it home and then parked it. I think brass would look better.

My local surplus store is:

Adirondak Dodge Military Surplus Parts 8191 Route 12 Barneveld, NY

(315) 896-2572
    To Order Parts 1-800-932-8020
    http://www.adirondackdodgeparts.com/

I bought four nice Michelin XZL's off him recently too (95% tread $200 each). He has four more but I think he is saving them for himself. He also has Michelin XL's with about 75% tread (no sidewall cracking) for $100 each (one XL with 90% tread).