Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m715 front axle

Okay, here is a really odd ball question, and I am really tired right now, AND on pain meds, so probably isn't the best time to be posting (that was actually more of a warning), but anyway.

I have a set of axles from my m715 that I am no longer going to be using, but, I don't think I will be able to get $500 for them (rear has a locker). Anyway, I was always pondering the idea of doing the 35 spline conversion in the front, but never really got that far, as the axle would have had to been out of my rig for at LEAST three or four months.

Anyway, now that my rig will be no more (don't worry, it wasn't an m715, it was actually just a FSJ) I will have LOTS of time to try it out.

But what I am wondering, is would there be any interest in a 35 spline converted dana 60 front end? It would have an arb or Detroit locker (probably arb, as the price between the two isn't that much), 35 spline inners and outers, but still have the m715 bolt pattern closed knuckle and drum brakes.

Price would be about $1500 or whatever I had into it (about $1500 judging by the conversion article)

The reason I ask is not because I would be looking to make money on it, but simply for the fact that if I did decide to sell it, it would be nice to know ahead of time if it was at least not a total loss.

I have read the conversion article very closely, and have asked questions of competent people (including a couple to the guy who wrote the article--don't know if he is on here or not), I would follow the conversion pretty closely, although there are a few things I would do differently

I would like to do this because I have the time, money, and would really like to get to know drivetrains better. If I did make this, it would probably go in a friend's rig or something, BUT just in case, I would really like to see if there was any interest?

Thanks, Andy

i say no. a modern disc braked d60 with 4.56 gears and a 14bolt with detroit go for 1200-1500 now.... for a set

Sorry Andy, but Lee is correct. No one wants the drums nor the odd bolt pattern. Those of us who want the 35 splines also want to get the open knuckle and common rims and discs to go with it.

As Jeepist Doug says- No matter how much make-up you put on a pig, at the end of the night you still just have a pig.

-B.

I kind of thought that would be the case. I may do it anywy. I think the cost would actually be quite a bit less than that, but it is always better to overshoot.

The only benefit this would have over a standard sixty is the arb and 35 spline outers.

The negative would be keeping the stock wheel pattern, and drum brakes (although I haven't every really had a problem with mine, seems to stop fine even w/ the 44" tires, BUT they do seem big and bulky)

I don't necessarily consider closed knuckle in and of itself a downside because I like having the knuckle enclosed, and it is my THEORY That closed knuckles allow the insides to last longer.

For heavy duty, my preference is closed....also think he 35 splines and locker would be cool.....I kinda like the stock bolt pattern because, like so many things on the truck.....it sets it apart.....I purposely didnt buy a cookie cutter version of most other peoples choice in trucks!!
    brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Wearing your underwear on the outside also sets you apart .

you saying buying a chevy or ford million of em made pickemup truck is the way to go???
    Dont you remember Grease??
    We solve our problems then we throw away conventionality, belongs to yesterday.....

brute4c
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Default Edelbrock carb rich lean ?

For heavy duty, my preference is preffered
    Uh, Jon, there weren't and pills for me to grab up. What the hell were you TRYING to say, here?
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

ARE YOU ON DOPE??????????????????????
    brute4c

No, I'm just saying that (pun intended) there was no need to reinvent the wheel when eight lug wheels had been used successfully by the big three for a number of years already. It is as if the head of Kaiser got the engineers together and said "Ok, the military wants a truck to use in the worst conditions possible. Our fighting men may depend on these trucks to save their lives. What say we sell them an engine that we have abandoned as unreliable even though we are currently using a much better one in our civvie trucks. While we are at it, let's use a transfer case that will overheat at the mind warping speed of 50mph.Screw the fact that there is a better one in production(np205). Oh yeah, before I forget let's give them a goofy lug pattern in the off chance these trucks end up in civilian hands so that future generations will bemoan the lack of cheap wheels and disc brake hardware.