Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tonneau Cover and Bikini Top

Quote Originally Posted by goodo85 View Post
    Hey Don,

That is actually one of the things I looked into when I was weighing up whether to buy it or not, along with the cost of import and getting to western Canada where I was going to be working at the time. Lucky for me, anything older than 30 years can stay LHD. I wouldn't want it any other way, that's part of the enjoyment in driving it.

Yeah I see you were over visiting earlier this year - You might have to visit your daughter for Easter one year, and just "happen" to bring them all to Coffs Harbour on holidays. After all, you weren't to know Australia's biggest Jeep event was on. haha
    I usually get to Australia two or more times a year. And, I stay for a minimum of two months. So, maybe we could visit some time. I actually do drive when I am in Melbourne. Not all that different.

As for keeping it left hand drive, "Good on 'ya!" Nice looking. I know it was a long journey getting your truck to NSW.

Cheers Mate!

This is a great thread. Great craftsmanship. I love the way the canvas work came out. Very clean and well thought out. If you ever feel like mass producing some of that stuff. This is the place.

Bump for the bikini top.

perfect snow weather to be thinking about one.

I like when pictures are posted from Australia, they show upside down , here in the States.

just checking in...

It would be nice to see some more canvas work pics.

Lots of good stuff going on here, in this thread.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Bump for the bikini top.

perfect snow weather to be thinking about one.

I like when pictures are posted from Australia, they show upside down , here in the States.

just checking in...

It would be nice to see some more canvas work pics.

Lots of good stuff going on here, in this thread.
    Thanks Blitz.

Forgot I never posted pics of the finished bikini top. I'll take some this weekend. It's been getting a lot of use lately. It has been a hot summer here.
    I'll have to remember to post them upside down at this end then, so that they appear right way up for you!

I've got a couple more projects to do, just need to make the time to start, between work and moving house it's the same story I think most people would be familiar with. My wife is now pregnant with our first child so I don't imagine my free time is going to get better. Haha.
    I would like to do a rear cargo cover, but I'm still not sure which way I'll make it. Unsure whether to make it similar to standard, with a big flat tarp pulled over high bows or go for a lower more fitted canopy with zippered doors and fly screens so that we can camp in the back. This way would be more user friendly and drag less wind, but I kind of like the look of the big high standard cargo tarp. Any thoughts/experience?

It would be great to see pics of the complete Bikini Top.

I can see using that in the Spring and summer and driving down the road, and it looks cool as heck, and there is no other design available like that anywhere.

The fasteners you are using, and the quality is outstanding.

For the cargo cover...
    The Stakes and Bows are the determining factor.

I guess it depends on what you already have.

If You have to custom build Your stakes and bows, I guess the World is open.

I really like the idea of a zippered mosquito net, "inside" the normal door...Like a tent
    So You can either be weatherproof, or let the breeze through.

I would sure incorporate window panels front and rear, just to see out of with "Strato Glass" thick clear UV resistant plastic.

I have seen a lot of NOS end curtains with brown faded and damaged "glass", due to UV.

It would not be difficult to sew in the canvas piece that was cut out for the "windows", at the top of the "windows", with small securing straps...
    To hold it up into place when you want to see out, but can be released and "rolled down" to blackout the cargo area ,
    or lights coming from the front of the truck, all the way through the cargo area and out the back window, wont show.

I would for sure incorporate a blackout curtain, front and rear.

For Between the Cab area and Cargo Area, I would also make the ends curtain zippered, "full access" to the cargo area... While the outer edges remain secured to the bows.
    Simply for Dog Noses and passing Dog treats back to the K-9's in the bed, and keepin' them calm.

Once again, the mosquito screen also, i really like....
    Just with small straps to "roll it up" and secure it at the top...
    Honestly, I would probably incorporate some dreaded Velcro as well...

The ropes that secure the ends of the Cargo cover to the tailgate and front of the bed...
    Those really work pretty durn good.

I would make sure that You have enough "overlap" going down over the 2 end curtains, to keep the rain out and most of the wind.

I can measure mine for ya, but I bet a foot on each end is about appropriate ( 1/3 meter )
    This overlap keeps out blowing rain, and a lot of the wind, and allows the ropes to be pulled tightly on each end.

Getting those "even" front and rear on mine was the hardest part.. and took weeks of small adjustments as the canvas "seated and formed" around the upper bows... slowly stretching into place.

Of course you want reinforcement canvas strips sewn in to the cargo cover, where it contacts the thee bows spanning the top of the truck.
    I would make these wider than the bows, on each side to allow for shifting and stretching, and lifting in the wind slightly.

The last suggestion would be to install small straps out of canvas Inside the cover, to actually strap the cover down to the bows and upright stakes.
    I would do at least 9 of them. ( Left side, Rt Side and center top ) if not even more.

Just something to "pull" the canvas "down" to the bows and cross members, and once again... ore reinforcement will be needed there as well.

To recap...
    I know You have the skills, and the Tools to do this.

If I personally was going to go to all of that effort...
    I would use the stock uprights and stock bows, and design something that could be used by everyone with an M 715.

The labor would be the same, maybe a few more feet ( meters ) of canvas...

But You would have a "prototype" design that could be manufactured and "traded" for some of that evil money stuff.

Just a though.

But .. I love the Canvas on these trucks.

I like Your ideas and the extra things You have made and the "thinking out of the box" as to where to put the canvas and what to make from it.

canvas belongs on these trucks.

I dont think you could have too much of it, honestly.

I always wanted a canvas windshield cover, and side glass covers, headlight covers ( all with simple velcro ), tool bag, folding water carrier, canvas bag for recovery gear like chain and straps, winch covers , and some sort of antenna bag that would slide into the tool box, but could be slid out to access the tools, antenna or spare tubes/ tire kit.

Thank you for the quick reply.
    I was just thinking about these Bikini tops again and had to look this thread up to see if I missed some pics.

Good to hear you are doing well, and congratulations on bringing another Craftsman into the World.

Wow. one last though.. something I always wanted to do...

How about something like a "sun/rain shade" that extends about 3 meters past the tailgate ?

I know it would take its own frame.. but could be "snapped in" onto the last bow on the top, to make more "cooking area" and tailgate sitting area...

Just a thought...
    its nice to stand up in the rain and cook something on the BBQ on the tailgate.

I kept several of those cheap Chinese frames form 20 dollar sun shades, just for this purpose... But the tarp will blow off the top of the truck... and the legs have to be sunk into the ground, or weighted down...

Sorry for the large pic...
    I will reply once so its easier for the next guy to comment.

I like Your Work Goodo85.

Thanks for sharing everything.

*** Auzzie Babe not inlcuded ***

I finally managed to spend some time behind the wheel of the Jeep on the weekend. The wife and I went for a bit of a lap up around the local forest. Remembered to take some photos of the bikini top while it was out of the shed.

I realize that Australia is "Down Under". But you really illustrated that fact with the pictures ... which are upside down!

Seriously, thanks for the pictures.

These M 715's are such mountain goats, they just wont fall off of anything.
    Super Sticky Mud Tires.

That has to be some class 5.15 a Trail riding...
    Highly technical, mechanical protection points and belay required : )

major underhang there.

Awesome looking Top Goodo.

I will scroll back and look at Your framework required, and the shorter bows.

That top would be awesome here in Texas in the Spring and late late into to the Summer and Fall.

I think ya got something there.

Thanks for the photo views again .
    Last edited by Blitz; March 10th, 2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I realize that Australia is "Down Under". But you really illustrated that fact with the pictures ... which are upside down!

Seriously, thanks for the pictures.
    I posted the photos using my iPad. It must auto correct them or something because they appeared the right way up for me. I saw your post this morning Don, so I checked, they still looked ok at my end. It wasnt until I logged in on a computer at lunch today that I noticed they really were upside down.
    I have tried to rotate and resave the files so hopefully this works: