Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering

I was just told by the guy I got it from it was from a 2002 Blazer. I checked http://www.oreillyauto.com and it looks like 90's - 2002 are the same part number. ( I originally thought it was from a 90's Blazer)

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I was just told by the guy I got it from it was from a 2002 Blazer. I checked http://www.oreillyauto.com and it looks like 90's - 2002 are the same part number. ( I originally thought it was from a 90's Blazer)
    Looks like it would work too (3 bolt)

67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I used the BJ's pitman arm on my last truck. It worked well. I think it was about 1/4-1/2" longer center to center than the stock manual arm. I am using it on my current truck as well but I don't have this truck driving yet.. Both trucks are stock suspension.

I am using a box from an S-10 Blazer this time. It didn't require any cutting or grinding to fit right in. It is also a fast ratio box.

Can you comment on the fast ratio box (how do you like it?), what pitman arm was used and would you use it again vs. a wagoneer etc. box?

I'm using the BJ's pitman arm that I linked to above. I would absolutely do it again. One thing about this box is I didn't need to make room at the front of the frame. This one was a true bolt in replacement. The Wagoneer box was just a bit longer and required me to notch the front frame rail to fit.

As for fast ratio vs standard it doesn't seem that significant to me. The truck still has a poor turning radius regardless of how fast the tires turn side to side.

I'm using the BJ's pitman arm that I linked to above. I would absolutely do it again. One thing about this box is I didn't need to make room at the front of the frame. This one was a true bolt in replacement. The Wagoneer box was just a bit longer and required me to notch the front frame rail to fit.

As for fast ratio vs standard it doesn't seem that significant to me. The truck still has a poor turning radius regardless of how fast the tires turn side to side.
    This is where I'm tempted to play with the pitman arm (Ford bronco arm etc)....

I have a Spring Under Axle Swap of modern Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25 axles with 4 wheel disc brakes. I also have the modern turn radius (not much more... but more indeed of a 90's F350).... A slightly longer arm would give me that back....... hmmm... Unless the BJ's arm is long enough but the box itself puts the axles on the bump stops simply too early.

Thanks again for your feedback... definitely going this route...
    Last edited by venominjected; May 18th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.

Venom I have a Ford HP60 in mine too, spring over though. I used a 78 waggy box and a pitman arm off a 93 f350. The waggy was too short and I couldn't get full lock to lock on the axle. Also the ford pitman arm had the correct tie rod hole for my axle. I had to modify the ford arm so I could clock it to the correct position. The ford unit is also more substantial, I like the idea of a little beef in the pitman arm. Only issue I have is a bit of bump steer. Going to be getting a drop pitman at some point to help with the bump steer.
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Oh and I forgot to mention that I didn't have to notch my frame ...
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

I'm going to try a used (2001) junkyard power steering box out of an S-10 blazer and see what happens before I pop for $150-200 for a new one. (plus then I'll have a core so in the grand scheme of things it will only cost me $15 bucks to try the S-10 blazer (with a $35 core charge coming back.)

Report and picture to follow in a month or two. I'm thinking the S-10 power box with either the BJ's offroad pitman or a early 1990's bronco pitman... whichever is cheaper.

I'll be drilling out the pitman arm to accept a tapered insert to accept GM 1 ton TRE's.
    Last edited by venominjected; May 19th, 2017 at 09:26 AM.

Another great thread.

I've decided to put power steering on mine when I swap in the 390/T18/NP205. That way I can put off having surgery on my shoulders for a few more years and my wife can take the truck to garage sales while I'm at work.

I think I'll go with the Lares 1106. Looks like it was used on pretty much all the GM and AMC land yachts '77 to '79, as well as the J10, waggy and Cherokee

The one for the 2000ish Blazer is the Lares 1353.

While I was checking applications and prices I saw that the Lares 1105 appears to be the fast ratio version of the 1106. For a 78 Buick Riviera anyway, so I'm guessing it would work on our trucks too if you want fast ratio. It's also about $90 higher.

Today I put the Latest 1106 on my truck while I've got the engine, trans and transfer case out. I had to shave the front frame rail about 1/8 of an inch, other than that it fit perfectly.

Why didn't you guys warn me about that top bolt? I was so excited about putting it on to check the fit that I didn't put the steering shaft on and assemble it all at once... oops.
    Now that it's on it's not coming back off. Tomorrow I'll unbolt the steering column and finish putting it together.

Then take the bearing retainers from the np200 and the np205 to the machine shop and have them mill the 200 retainer to transfer the brake over to the 205. Maybe they'll be done with the 390 parts and I can start engine assembly.

Wanna thank all you guys for all the research you've done and shared on these dang trucks. YUGE help. The best help in the world. Help like you've never seen before...