Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wiring harness

Default New wiring harness

I am getting to the point it will soon be time to start wiring the old truck. The original harness is in sad shape so I am looking for a replacement.
    I have sent a request in to Painless wiring but have not heard back yet.

Do you guys have suggestions of where else to look for a replacement harness? OR, where NOT to look?
    I am trying to keep as much of the military switching and lighting as possible.
    Putting a Ford 300 straight 6 in it with a ZF 5 spd behind that and a divorced NP205 so wiring for the drivetrain is not going to be hard.

If you are looking for a stock style harness, it's hard to beat Vintage Wiring of Maine. BIG money but it's basically a plug and play situation. All the connectors, plugs and wrap are original military grade stuff. I can't remember the guys name but if you have a need for something other than stock, the guy who makes them can and will make a special application for a truck. Just describe what you want and he'll make it. (for a price of course)
    You should give him a call and he'll tell you what he has and what he can make.
    I spent $1100 for mine but it was all there except for the short harness that attaches the turn signal. That was another 75.00.

I know it was mega bucks but,
    one, I got a stock harness without any worries about being sound
    two, I didn't have to re-invent the wheel, one wire at a time
    three, it came with a satisfaction guarantee

Well worth it and I had it completely installed in about two hours

I have used EZ wiring in all my trucks. All wires are labeled every 12" and they are very easy to install. Well worth the money.

http://www.ezwiring.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    I have used EZ wiring in all my trucks. All wires are labeled every 12" and they are very easy to install. Well worth the money.

http://www.ezwiring.com

X2. I put a painless harness in my CJ7, and used and EZ to mate to my 715s wiring. The EZ was hands down easier and lots cheaper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

I have to through in a weird alternative. M35A2 wiring harness. They are genuine military, have all the exact same stock components and all the numbers match. The problems are that the headlight wires are a bit too long and you have to use the flame start assist wire as the ignition wire.

Then there is the rear wiring. M35 trucks had a front and rear harness. The rears are impossible to find. However, a 5 ton tractor rear harness is easy to find and about $30. Waaaaayyyyy too much wire for a M35 and obviously too much for a M715.

Just another option that is a lot cheaper if you are going for a stock set up or close to stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If you are looking for a stock plug and play harness, vintage wiring is the way to go. I think everything else will require you to adapt, but I only can testify for vintage wiring, I used them in my cj5, and other people I know have used them in MV restorations. I will be getting the wiring for my GPW from them

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I have to through in a weird alternative. M35A2 wiring harness. They are genuine military, have all the exact same stock components and all the numbers match. The problems are that the headlight wires are a bit too long and you have to use the flame start assist wire as the ignition wire.

Then there is the rear wiring. M35 trucks had a front and rear harness. The rears are impossible to find. However, a 5 ton tractor rear harness is easy to find and about $30. Waaaaayyyyy too much wire for a M35 and obviously too much for a M715.

Just another option that is a lot cheaper if you are going for a stock set up or close to stock.
    You have great insight and info Tim. Thanks for the post
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thanks George,
    Wiring the Gasser M35 from scratch taught me a few things and then using the same wiring harness on a M715 for Pistolnut convinced me the M35 wiring is the best value out there. If you are patient and think things through.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks guys! I'll do some research on these and may have to get Barrman to come down if I go the M35 route.

Default New Wiring harness-Make your own!

All the packard connectors and packard wire are available online for very reasonable prices, so it is very easy and inexpensive to make you own replacement harness for the M-715, I think I spent about $90 for all the wire and connectors, and if you don't have an uninsulated terminal crimper, that will set you back 10 bucks for a cheap one, or perhaps 30 bucks for a Klein. The harness tape is also available online. If you are adding connectors for civilian engine wiring, Waytek and Ladd are very good resources for Weatherpack and Deutsch style automotive connectors. Just went through all this with my LS engine swap into my M-715.

Scott