Thread: fuel pump? carb?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default fuel pump? carb?

Hey guys... Im running into a problem. My 68 will idle fine and run in 1st. When I get up to speed usually between 2nd and 3rd it will cut out. The oil gauge drops to zero. Then it normally takes a few minutes before I can fire it back up and usually cuts out again when I take off. Seems like the carb is flooding but im not sure. Anyone run into this before or have any ideas for me.

Default will only idle.

My M725 ran fine for about a month when I first started working on it. Then, it would only idle. I could not give it any gas or it would stall. I had the fuel pump rebuilt, same result. Had the carb rebuilt and it runs now, but rich. Mine now needs the timing adjusted, new plugs and idle mixture adj.
    Last edited by MJCougler; May 12th, 2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: forgot a period
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I'd check the fuel filter, fuel pump, tank pickup sock, and the needle valve in the carb, in that order.

A fuel pressure gauge may come in handy, or you can just pop lines off and see what kind of flow you can get.

--Randy

Could also be an ignition problem, such as a bad coil failing when warm.

--Randy

Easy way to check the fuel pump is to see if it will fill up a small water bottle in less than a minute while cranking the engine. You will also see if there is any gunk in it.

The fuel tank has a plug on the bottom. You can drain the tank and put in fresh gas.

ive replaced the fuel filter already so I think its time to play with the fuel pump. Thanks for the help fellas. I'll let you know how it goes

having a problem with my truck today, all stock and have a spare parts on pallet racking......no gas to carb at all, took off line to fuel filter which is after fuel pump and cranked truck and no fuel.........b4 i switch out my fuel pump any thing else to try??? thanks for any help...........

no fuel = bad pump (or plugged line at tank).

I would change the pump, blow the line out back into the tank. change filter.
    Also, you can disconnect the short line from the frame rail to the engine and feed in fuel from a 5 gal can strapped to the front bumper. I do this to test the pump and get trucks running all the time.

thanks much, never thought of that, once drove a old jeep home with a 5 gallon can strapped to the roof!!!

This what I did when I was waiting for my new stainless steel tank. I refused to be bothered with a rusty tank. They come back to haunt you.

Trouble with this was that when I drove around the yard, the gas sloshed out of the can!
    Attached Images Attached Images