Thread: chevy 350 and turbo 400

Default chevy 350 and turbo 400

I am in the process of putting a 350 and turbo 400 in my truck. I have just the engine set in and after measuring trans length realized it sits back too far. Has anyone tried cutting off the engine frame horns and moving them? I know randyscycle has this set up with a big block and wonder if he made longer mounts. I really do not want to move the transfer case. The original engine will never go back in this truck and i want it to look factory without a mount that looks 6 inches off the factory mounts. Thanks!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I did make new frame mounts, rather than the "Spicer Plate" It was the only choice I had as someone had torched off the mounts in my truck long before I got it. I like it better that way anyhow, rather than leveraging a flat steel plate off the factory frame mount.

Here they are. Just DOM tube and some reinforcement plates:

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

there are different lengths for the TH400. a long tail 400 may be too long any way you do it. sorry i don't know exact but as i understand it there are 3 different TH400 lengths. do you know which 400 you have? just a thought.....al

I used the short shaft TH400 and it is about as long as you could go without moving the transfer case. A long shaft probably wouldn't work at all as it is about 8 inches longer or so.

I wasn't aware they made anything other than a short and long tailshaft.

Turbo 350 is quite a bit shorter than the 400. I'm looking at switching to auto-I've got an R4 a 400 and a 350 that I can use. The R4 and 400 are very close to each other but the 350 is wayyyy shorter. As I'm going to rebuild whichever I choose anyway-I'm going to go with the 350 just for ease of installation. You can build a pretty stout 350. Just a thought

If your going to have to move everything else around at some point is seems easier to just change transfer cases and driveshafts eh?

Thanks for the input. I am using a short shaft 400. My plan is to leave the transfer case where it is in case a driveshaft breaks i can replace one without having to have custom ones made every time. It looks like i only need about
    5 or 6 inches and theres plenty of room to go forward.

With a short shaft TH400 and a BB Chevy this is what I ended up using between the transfer and trasmission. The small block will let you go forward more, but you'll probably have to still cut the stub shaft down some with the automatic transmission.