Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Gauges?

Default Aftermarket Gauges?

I will be gearing up for the wiring project real soon. I am going to do 12v with maybe dual batteries. I really like the factory gauges, but I don't think they will work on 12 volts? Anyone tried? I have been looking at aftermarket gauges with not much luck. I would like all the gauges to fit in the factory spot in the dash, with the exception of the tack, and it could go on the steering column as I don't want to cut a hole in my dash. Any suggestions for gauges? I have installed the Napa fuel sending unit in my clean gas tank, and it came with the fuel guage, according to Napa I need to use a fuel guage with the same OLM meter reading? According to them I have to be able to fill the tank and empty it to measure that reading, is this correct? The tank is not installed yet and I really don't want to have to wait until it is running to decide what guages I can get? Any suggestions of what will work or are the ohm readings the same for most fuel guages. I would like all the gauges to be the same if possible, second for them to fit in the factory dash. Any help on this matter is appreciated. Thanks All Fisherman

I used a set of VDO gauges, you can get them in the right sizes to fit the existing holes.

If I did it again, I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND the electronic speedo, as that allows you to recalibrate for tire size changes, etc. Costs about $100 more than the manual speedo, but worth not being 20% off as mine is. (of course, it keeps the mileage lower)

Go with whatever gauge set you like - most mfgs. have sets that will fit the existing holes.

I put my tach in a bucket on the column, wish I had a better place for it, but at least it's right there. I use it as my speedo, since mine is off. 3000 rpm = 54 mph.

Stewart-Warner Deluxe series are identical in appearance to the stockers aside from the chrome bezels.

Chris

I'm going to be using AutoMeter Phantom gauges.

To get the ohms on the sending unit, check the specs for the NAPA part # you bought. The specs should show the ohm range. Not all are the same so it is important to match the guage with sending unit. (chevy different than ford different than dodge, etc). Otherwise, you can remove the sending unit and measure the ohms between full/empty on the bench.

The holes are standard 2 1/16" holes so any standard guage will fit. Just pick the style you want. Go with electronic guages unless you want to mess with tubes running through the firewall for oil pressure and temperature.

I used the VDO series 1 gauges in mine. They looked just like the originals with white numbers and pointers but with the chrome bezels. Also it was not too hard to fab up a new dash panel that allowed me to place the tach in it, yet look very close to stock.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

I've always liked the above dash panel, and think it is the best idea for adding a tach.

Does any one make the above panel for retail sale, maybe a fellow zoner? If so I'd like one just like that.

Thanks to all, Yes, Beast I do like your dash the best, you wouldn't by chance have an extra gauge panel laying around? I would be interested in one also.

I like Daves dash as well. Here is how I made a tach fit my M715. I just put the tach and oil psi where the 3 lever switch is and put the 3 lever on the other side of the wheel. These are AutoMeter Sport Comp gauges. I love having a fuel psi gauge. Really helps narrow down things if it stumbles on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw