Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: grantshire : My Game Plan - Comments welcomed

Default mgmorrison :

Re: My Game Plan - Comments welcomed
    Post by mgmorrison on Jun 20, 2006, 8:36pm

Quote:
    I would have liked to use one of my AMC 360's but I don't know if they have enough "umph" for a tow rig.

WHAT???

I had a J20 with a 360. it was rebuilt with a torque cam, T18 and 3.73 gears. I could load it down, hook the loaded trailer behind it and cruise at 70mph all day long, up any grade, etc without even breaking a sweat. That was with a stock 2 barrel and ignition. I would drop another 360 in my truck (which is going to see tow rig usage) except for the fact that I found a 401...

Martin

Default grantshire :

Post by grantshire on Jun 21, 2006, 10:14am

Martin,

I know the AMC 360's can tow well, I just figured, with my luck, as soon as i swapped in one of my 360's (runing engines but they have a lot of miles) it would start giving me trouble and need a rebuild. Having built a 360 before, I know it cost more to build than a GM engine, so why not start with a GM? I DO have a 401 set aside for another project.

Also, there is the issue of automatic transmissions. All the AMC TH400's I have are mated to QT's or Dana 20's, niether which is heavy duty enough for a M715 (I need an auto in mine so the wife can pull our horse trailer). If I use a GM TH400 I would need an adapter to make it fit the AMC engine.

I am considering the pros and cons of several engine options before I start this project. I have time to do this because its not here yet. I know one it arrives i will want to jump into it.

Saxon, I would dearly love to have more information about the issues fitting a Caddy engine into a M715. How long is your engine/tranny combo? Are you using a divorced TC?

Richard

Default tacomainoh :

Post by tacomainoh on Jun 21, 2006, 2:51pm

you can put 2wd TH400 guts in the AMC 400's. The case just has a different bellhousing pattern. They're identical inside. (ie, parts swap) Just swap a 2wd output and tailhousing in there.

Default saxon :

Post by saxon on Jun 21, 2006, 9:19pm

Grantshire, I purchased a 70 j-3000 for the t-18trans/bellhousing/clutch linkage,etc. There are a couple of places that spin out billet flywheels for the stick conversion, you need to bore out the back of the crank for a pilot brng or use a custom roller bearing adapter that fits tightly ito stock indent. I had the front t-18 long shaft mated to the stock t-98 with custom roller bearings that was it, so placement of the rear t-98 mount on original cross member set eng very far forward, because the cad is 3" longer than buick I,m going to have to cut into cowl to move rad forward. Lots of mods,I can handle it but still! I wanted a stick because I didn't think I'd get a low enough low. To do it all over I,d run an automatic, slam it back as far as I could. I'm running the 200 tc with the driveline moved. I just got the stock differentials back with powerlock possi's intalled all rebuilt,new clutches,bearings.rear end gears,used fronts,4:10 ratio for 1300.00 total,my gear guy's cheap and I scrounged big time for the possi's. Caddy t-18/t-98 combo w long bellhousing is 56" from rear trans mount bolts to crank pulley, eng is 30" from back trans mating surface to crank pulley. I hope some of this jabber helps Dan Hansen (saxon)