Thread: calpyro : NP205 to 3053A trans adapter and bell housing

Default calpyro : NP205 to 3053A trans adapter and bell housing

NP205 to 3053A trans adapter and bell housing
    Post by calpyro on Jun 22, 2006, 9:58am

I just picked up two 3053a 5 speed transmissions yesterday at a Government Liquidations yard yesterday.
    I got started tracking down the bell housing, adapter plate, flywheel, and starter at a big truck salvage yard and found out what I kind of already knew. The Bell housing that fits the 3053a is rare. However, with the help of the owner of the salvage yard, I came up with a solution to the bolt pattern problem. He found a common (very heavy steel) bell housing that can be modified (aka drilled) to match the pattern of the 3053a. The bell housing is the most common type for a 70's-80' big block Chevy. It has a machined surface in the areas that need to be drilled to accommodate the new bolt pattern. Today, I am going to get a sheet of clear Lexan to put over the transmission to acquire the bolt pattern and then transfer it to the bell housing for drilling. Problem one solved. I'll take some photos if I can figure out how to post them.
    Additionally, I contacted a company that make adapters for transmissions to transfer cases and they are going to make an adapter to fit a NP 205 to the 3053a. On Monday, I am going to drive to their shop and drop off one the transmissions to use for the fabrication of the adapter. The company that is going to make the adapter has been interested in fabricating for the 3053a but did not have the time to acquire one for mock-up. When the adapter is figured out, the company is going to sell them. I will also give them the Lexan template for the bell housing for duplication. Hopefully, they can sell both the adapter plate and template as a kit for the 3053a.

Default warthog :

Re: NP205 to 3053A trans adapter and bell housing
    Post by warthog on Jun 22, 2006, 10:24am

Kewl info. Post name of company making the 205 to 3053a adapter, that will be good info. Hopefully won't cost an arm & leg.

Bob Cowan got me a bellhousing from a school bus that bolted right up to my 3053a for the BBC. I can get the numbers off the bellhousing in the morning if you like.

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jun 22, 2006, 10:34am

The guy that owns the adapter company does not want his name mentioned until he is able to produce the adaptors so he is not swamped with calls for a product he cannot deliver yet.

Bob is either good or lucky of both regarding the bell housing. I spent half a day at several LARGE salvage yards that specialize in big truck parts with no luck. I came to the conclusion that I could modify a common bell housing faster than I could find the less common one.
    If you can find the numbers that would be great. Mine is almost done, but it might help someone else.

Default gimpyrobb :

Post by gimpyrobb on Jun 22, 2006, 10:45am

I have some bells and flywheels that will work. Where are you located?

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jun 22, 2006, 1:09pm

I am in Northern CA

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 22, 2006, 1:18pm

ALSO I THINK A LAKEWOOD STEEL BLOWPROOF BELLHOUSING CAN BE REDRILLED TO WORK.
    BOB

Default calpyro :

Post by calpyro on Jun 22, 2006, 11:06pm

Bob,
    How did you find the right bell housing? I had a part number and took the transmission, but I could not find anybody who had ever seen one.

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Jun 22, 2006, 11:34pm

spicer helped me to know which one to look for. i got blessed finding one. i,ve got another one if it helps you. its a sae type bellhousing with all the clutch setup and starter. it matches the 3053a trans. its another way you can go. i,ll sell it if you need it. sure beats looking for one and PULLING IT !!!!! its a days work for sure and a 2 man job who knows what there doing. not to mention dangerous.
    bob

Default warthog :

Post by warthog on Jun 23, 2006, 9:32am

Just started cleaning up the bellhousing, so numbers were easy to get to;
    On side that mates to Trans - 3947709 GM7 (lower right side, would be covered by trans)
    Inside towards engine - SG1 7(left of input shaft opening) 7709(right of shaft opening)