Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: elohim1 : Mounting a Chevy BB question ?

Default fisherman :

Re: Mounting a Chevy BB question ?
    Post by fisherman on Aug 8, 2006, 8:41am

Bob You can see. I noticed that too, maybe just more practice. You can't weld beautiful all the time, I know I don't. I figure he was just trying to keep with factoy weld look. These trucks hardly have a pretty weld on them.

Default 40grit :

Post by 40grit on Aug 8, 2006, 9:06am

Chris,
    I used the "any SBC into a J-series" from transdapt, then added the diagonal support...they fit perfect for the BBC

Bob,
    don't start throwing rocks...
    here's one of "your" welds
    http://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ug04254gs5.jpg

he's an exceptional welder, doesn't show in the pics...like Fisherman said, the welds are far better than all the factory stuff on the truck...remember pretty welds aren't always strong welds...penetration is more important than looks.

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on Aug 8, 2006, 7:19pm

Quote:
    . I personally like the "cut off the frame horns, make arms that come off the engine motor mount pads, drill holes in the top of the frame and bolt it in with a rubber bushing between.

I think I like this setup Barman suggested. I was considering using 3" channel and cutting an angle on it then welding a mounting plate. However, I am afraid it will look "ragtag". Is there anyone out there that makes the setup Barrman is speaking of ??

Default bluesman2a :

Post by bluesman2a on Aug 9, 2006, 1:30am

Quote:

I think I like this setup Barman suggested. I was considering using 3" channel and cutting an angle on it then welding a mounting plate. However, I am afraid it will look "ragtag". Is there anyone out there that makes the setup Barrman is speaking of ??

uhhh... Yeah... Maybe I'm missing something here, but that sounds EXACTLY like what the transdapt and AA mounts do. They're dirt simple, but for the money, I would probably just buy them to make sure they are spot-on.

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 9, 2006, 8:07am

What I was talking about is what AA does. Novak has the kit that uses the stock 230 style motor mounts and requires some firewall "clearance" with a BFH. The Transdapt and AA mounts require the stock frame horns to be cut off.

As I stated in my first post, I like the "arm" style but only had 2 days to do a complete "230/T98 out, 396/NV4500 in" swap and went the safest/fastest way with the "Spicer plates."

Default elohim1 :

Post by elohim1 on Aug 9, 2006, 5:18pm

Quote:
    What I was talking about is what AA does. Novak has the kit that uses the stock 230 style motor mounts and requires some firewall "clearance" with a BFH. The Transdapt and AA mounts require the stock frame horns to be cut off.

As I stated in my first post, I like the "arm" style but only had 2 days to do a complete "230/T98 out, 396/NV4500 in" swap and went the safest/fastest way with the "Spicer plates."

Now i see, I thought you were talking about removing the horns and setting mounts off the motor directly on top the boxed frame with out having to weld perches.

I will go with AA or Transdapt then.

Is either one of these stronger ?

Default barrman :

Post by barrman on Aug 10, 2006, 8:52am

Now i see, I thought you were talking about removing the horns and setting mounts off the motor directly on top the boxed frame with out having to weld perches

That is kind of what I was talking about.

Cut off the stock motor mount frame horns.

Buy a kit that includes new mounts that come off the engine toward each frame rail and then mounts to a perch you weld on the frame rail. This is really the best way to clear the stock steering shaft unless you are doing a body lift as well. Then the steering is above all of this and not a problem.

Or, make the same as typed above for a lot less.

Or, mount the arms directly on the frame rail. This will work, but the steering shaft kind of gets in the way unless you do a body lift.

I have seen each of the above options in trucks. It really just depends on how much fabrication you want to do, time and your skills.