Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front disk brakes

Default front disk brakes

I know that someone makes a kit for front disk brakes, but I will never be able to justify the expense. I was thinking of copying what the other company did. Why reinvent the wheel? does anyone have one of these kits that would be willing to take some pictures and measurements? If I remember right from some pics I saw before, it requires the hub to be modified as well. I would gladly share what I come up with for everyone to follow.

They have te wole kt online...might not give you everything you need, but much of it...heres the link:

http://www.uglytruckling.com/M715%20...715%20kits.htm

I bought a Dana 60 rear end from a Dodge 1 ton, narrowed it to 56 inches wms to wms put my own custom disk brakes on it, changed the bearings and rebuilt the Power-loc diff. I changed the whole axle to a semifloating axle setup with new Mopar outer bearing housings and bought 35 spline fred williams axles for it all for $640.00

I know that MVs are more expensive for parts, but if I can make it, I wont buy it. I saw annother site that showed how that kit went on also and the guy said it cost him almost 900 bucks when he was finished with it because of the calipers and core charge and inner bearing seals.

It seems to me that if a new ring is welded to the hub to mount the rotor to, make a caliper bracket, and modify a ford rotor, that should be it. The biggest problem I see is the caliper brackets ears that hold the caliper on look complicated to make.

I like the look of the original axles so I won't be changing them. I know it would be easier to swap them out to get disk brakes and a normal wheel pattern. I have certain rules when I build a Jeep, like no chevy 350s allowed. not that I dont like the chevy 350, but EVERYONE and their brother puts a 350 in Jeeps. Its annoying, Its a symphony of sameness. I drive what I drive because its different. I think members of the Zone are creative to say the least and try to make the BEST modifications not just the easiest ones to do.

I really like the way you think!!

Ray at uglytruckling posted a conversion chart on his website that you can use to make your own disks with off the shelf parts. If you cant find it on his site got to g741.org and search the forum for the chart.
    Zone holster maker

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Phoenix, one thing I find about small-block Chevy conversions is that while they are all sorta the same, they do tend to do one thing well: Allow for commonality of parts.

If your goal is to be different, that's cool and I have no problem with anyone building their truck the way they want it, as that what it is really all about, but my experience has been that there isn't anything worse than being sidelined for days or possibly weeks looking for an unusual part, or having to re-fabricate it. Even more of a problem when I find myself wheeling alone 40-50 miles from the nearest road.

Proven parts generally mean proven reliability to me (not always!) and proven availability.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I bought a Dana 60 rear end from a Dodge 1 ton, narrowed it to 56 inches wms to wms put my own custom disk brakes on it, changed the bearings and rebuilt the Power-loc diff. I changed the whole axle to a semifloating axle setup with new Mopar outer bearing housings and bought 35 spline fred williams axles for it all for $640.00

I know that MVs are more expensive for parts, but if I can make it, I wont buy it. I saw annother site that showed how that kit went on also and the guy said it cost him almost 900 bucks when he was finished with it because of the calipers and core charge and inner bearing seals.

It seems to me that if a new ring is welded to the hub to mount the rotor to, make a caliper bracket, and modify a ford rotor, that should be it. The biggest problem I see is the caliper brackets ears that hold the caliper on look complicated to make.

I like the look of the original axles so I won't be changing them. I know it would be easier to swap them out to get disk brakes and a normal wheel pattern. I have certain rules when I build a Jeep, like no chevy 350s allowed. not that I dont like the chevy 350, but EVERYONE and their brother puts a 350 in Jeeps. Its annoying, Its a symphony of sameness. I drive what I drive because its different. I think members of the Zone are creative to say the least and try to make the BEST modifications not just the easiest ones to do.
    When you figure it out (like how I have faith in you ), you can count me in. Would love to have discs on the front - rear too for that matter.

The cost of the current conversion is a bit steep though.

Jester, did you get any more info about the PSC truck from Ultinate Adventure? Like how they went about cutting the ends of the axles off and welding on something newer? Just curious if it might be a lot simpler than fabbing everything up--not like I plan to do either one, but someone might.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    Jester, did you get any more info about the PSC truck from Ultinate Adventure? Like how they went about cutting the ends of the axles off and welding on something newer? Just curious if it might be a lot simpler than fabbing everything up--not like I plan to do either one, but someone might.
    Nope, I posted everything that they told me - not much. Since its out of my scope I did not really pursue it past that. They might say more if you called them.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    I would think that cutting off the ends of the axles and welding on newer ends with disks would work, but it would be easier to just change the whole thing at that point, and just swap over your diff, ring and pinion. Of course you would lose the cool original massive hubs and bolt pattern. It is actually fairly easy to cut off the ends of the axle and put on new parts, I cut off the driver` side end of my wagoneer axle to shorten it by 5 inches then welded the end back on. I think I will have to find a spare original axle that I can play around with. anyone have one that I can borrow???