Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pressure

Default Oil Pressure

Well, those who have been on here awhile know I've been looking for an oil pump but no emergency. The reason was I sometimes would get a drop in pressure after driving but it just went to about 20-25 lbs. so I suspected the pump was going. Now I really need one!

Driving to the Jeep show I ran 30 lbs. all the way and I was happy thinking the problem went away. Coming home my pressure slowly dropped to between 10 lbs and zero, going up and down. I was almost home when it went to 5 lbs. Revving the engine would bring it up to 10 but no higher.

I changed the oil and filter a few weeks ago for the first time since I own it and I wonder if the PO did not use detergent oil and by me running it up to temp with new detergent oil I didn't loosen up sludge and clog the filter and/or the pickup tube. That happened to me many years ago with a used truck.

Any thoughts out there?
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Is it possible that the internals, bearings etc. are so worn that the pressure is not gonna be there with a new pump?

Usualy you would need a lot of miles...no idea ewhatyour motor has.

I have a spare motor in the shop that is locked up...I can pull the pump and ship to you if you want to pay a little for it...you could use it just to test and see if it does the same thing to see if it is the bearings...

Let me know.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default PM

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Is it possible that the internals, bearings etc. are so worn that the pressure is not gonna be there with a new pump?

Usualy you would need a lot of miles...no idea ewhatyour motor has.

I have a spare motor in the shop that is locked up...I can pull the pump and ship to you if you want to pay a little for it...you could use it just to test and see if it does the same thing to see if it is the bearings...

Let me know.
    PM sent

What brand oil filter are you using? If you're a Fram guy, that just may be your problem! Fram filters have been junk/failing for the past several years since they were bought out. I've seen a few failures from Fram oil filters and have heard stories as well. I haven't put a Fram on anything I own for at least a decade.
    I only use Purolators, WIX, or Walmart Supertechs...

Default Fram

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfrankie View Post
    What brand oil filter are you using? If you're a Fram guy, that just may be your problem! Fram filters have been junk/failing for the past several years since they were bought out. I've seen a few failures from Fram oil filters and have heard stories as well. I haven't put a Fram on anything I own for at least a decade.
    I only use Purolators, WIX, or Walmart Supertechs...
    It is a Fram. I suspect a problem either with that or maybe clogged. I'm going to do some checking today as see if I have pressure now that the engine is cold.

Default Confused

Started up the truck today and 35 lbs of pressure and it holds. When I put it away on Saturday, I only had 5 lbs. This is how it acts. One trip and good pressure all the way. Next trip and it drops after 30 minutes or so. Always good pressure when the engine is cold.

Some say my bearings may be shot but I have not had any bearing noise, and I know what that sounds like, and why some trips good pressure and others not? Can the relief valve in the pump stick open or if a weak spring, open with heat sometimes?

Next step is pull the pump when I get one. Always wanted to do that anyway to set the gearing for the distributor correctly. Probably put the ignitor in then also and get rid of the civvy distributor.

What gauge are you using? If the engine and pump are worn, they don't magically reheal. I would use a mechanical gauge.

Dude,

Do yourself a favor and take the Fram oil filter off and throw it away. Replace with a Purolator. You're looking at $4.00 plus a pint of oil. See what that get you.

Was it a lucky guess that you have a Fram filter on there? Nope!!!

Fram are crap and that's being nice. Like I said, once Fram changed hands, their filter quality diminished and people lost motors because of their filters failing. Or, keep the Fram on there and you'll have a motor that will be good for a boat anchor soon.

Then, I would put a mechanical gauge on it - not the factory one. I am talking about an actual tool or aftermarket (Autometer for example) gauge on it.

For some reason, people never take my advice. Oh well...

Default Did that

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfrankie View Post
    Dude,

Do yourself a favor and take the Fram oil filter off and throw it away. Replace with a Purolator. You're looking at $4.00 plus a pint of oil. See what that get you.

Was it a lucky guess that you have a Fram filter on there? Nope!!!

Fram are crap and that's being nice. Like I said, once Fram changed hands, their filter quality diminished and people lost motors because of their filters failing. Or, keep the Fram on there and you'll have a motor that will be good for a boat anchor soon.

Then, I would put a mechanical gauge on it - not the factory one. I am talking about an actual tool or aftermarket (Autometer for example) gauge on it.

For some reason, people never take my advice. Oh well...
    Did replace the filter this AM. Same problem

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd definitely install a mechanical gauge, even if it is just temporary. See what you have both at cold start up and then good and hot, at idle.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™