Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Line Tools

Default Brake Line Tools

Anyone care to recommend a flaring kit and/or brake tube bender??

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just about any of the double flaring tools sold by NAPA and the like are the same stuff. Just try to avoid the Chinese ones if you can.

As far as a tubing bender, I wouldn't buy one anymore. Just go to the local NAPA and get the green coated polymer brake line. You can bend it by hand or around a round object like a piece of exhaust pipe without it kinking.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Just about any of the double flaring tools sold by NAPA and the like are the same stuff. Just try to avoid the Chinese ones if you can.

As far as a tubing bender, I wouldn't buy one anymore. Just go to the local NAPA and get the green coated polymer brake line. You can bend it by hand or around a round object like a piece of exhaust pipe without it kinking.
    And, you can get most any size and length with the nuts and flares already on them. So, you don't need the flare tool.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Get the flare tool. You need to learn how to use it anyway. I buy the long sections of tubing and more nuts and cut to the length needed.

Yeah I'm gonna be proactive and just replace all the lines on this thing as I've swapped to the 60/14 anyway. Might as well start from scratch. Had a small leak in the front line-pinhole somewhere where it jumped over to the passenger side. Eastwood has the spools of line that I've been told is of good quality and pretty easy to work. I was just concerned with tight bends-such as going into proportioning valve.

Once you get to using the flare tool, you will want to replace more line just to play with it. Do them all if you can since line is basically cheap insurance compared to a pedal slapping to the floor.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

As everybody mentioned, I also pretty much replace all the hard lines on any vehicle of question. Cheap insurance.

The flaring tool comes in handy for those times when the line is just a little too long for that last section and you really want a nice clean install.

Do you guys use a different size hard line when replacing, or just the same as stock?

I used 1/4" tubing. A blue point flare set and unknown tubing bender. Yesterday I was taking a look at my friends 47 chevy 1 ton restoration I'll be lending a hand on that one. He showed me a Boeing tubing bender he came up with while working there. Truly an aircraft bender with incredible quality and adjustability, I was jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by jlogan View Post
    Do you guys use a different size hard line when replacing, or just the same as stock?
    I generally replace with the same size line as I remove.