Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What axles do you guys run?

Default What axles do you guys run?

Is it worth it to keep whats under there..from all the search posts ive been reading everyone comments on how these axles arent too strong. I just want to put mine on 38'' tires preferably a xzl or xl type tire.

From what Ive read chevy 60 and 14bolt seem to be the most popular swap..Would 38's be too much for the stock axles??

If you don't do any crazy rock-crawling or loony truck jumping then stock axles work just fine with 38's. Many of us have them on our trucks.

There are 400 right answers to your question and I'm sure every one will be represented here.
    My answer is: Depends on how you drive and what you want to use it for. If the stock motor has unough power for you and you are fine with a top cruising speed in the forties then stay stock.
    If you are power hungry and/or abuse the pizz out of your stuff then go with a set of CUCV axles. D60 (new stronger kind) front and corp 14 rear are strong enough for just about anything you can do on 38" tires, they are 4.56:1 geared for more highway speed, they come with a Detroit Locker in the rear, and since you need to convert to disk brakes in the rear for the stock spring location to fit then you get 4 wheel disk brakes too. Plus the added advantage of being able to find parts for your axles at any parts store.
    Also to consider is that the stock axles are pretty strong as is ans they are free with the truck - the CUCV conversion will run you anywhere from $1000 to $2000 depending on how patient and good a shopper you are.

My .02

cool, no rocks in florida, no jumping, but Id love to trail/light mud playing along with street use.

I guess I was wondering if chevy axles would be a simple fit..easier rim selections along with disk brakes vs whats there now. Id prefer to keep it all authentic but if they are problematic axles I figured why not see what the rest of you run to see if its worth it to go to chevy axles. Im just trying to get things lined up for future repairs

BBM715

Ive had chevy 60 and 14bolt..regeard disk brakes crossover steering and Ive had 2.5 ton rockwells with 4disk brake hydro assist and crossover steering..Im familiar with newer style axles..havent had the chance to dig through theses..Just read somewhere that the 60 shafts on these were equal to a dana 44..thought that was kinda small but thats just my own ignorance for not digging into them yet.

But what Im trying to do is not waste money on problematic parts. Just like I read it was better to swap in a np205 so you dont have to deal with over heating issues..Just trying to see what the best way to take this once I get it home. Ive done the wrangler thing monster truck thing, Now I just want something tuff but practical. A suburban on 52's and rocks was a pain..And wrangler drivetrains are pathetic when you have a 4cyl

Im still reading but just trying to find the best little tricks that all ya'll have found and take it in the right direction! Cheers!! and thanks again for all info.

the stock axles are dana 60 f an 70 rear they are quite tuff if you want better road speed change the ring/pinion to a higher ratio, its the cheapest route for a change from stock and it slows the transfer case in the bargin, the wheel end stuff is paticular to the 715 but brake and brg stuff is still easy to find anyway.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

cool thanks again!

Keep in mind that a complete and correct brake overhaul and regear of both axles will be comparable in cost to just buying a clapped out CUCV for the axles.

Chris

Im sure it would be..The jeep i just bought also comes with 2 sets of front and rear brake shoes, belts, seals, bearings. Bunch of stuff..so I figured once that stuff runs out..would it be a better time to upgrade.

But it seems parts can be found at local and out of state auto suppliers so its all good. Just a new world for me to figure out..Once I get an understanding of it..I hopefully wont be asking so many newb questions.

I can attest that the stock axles will take any normal stress the stock drive train can put on them. Most of us have a story where we have carried 4-5000lbs+ loads without a problem. I drove mine for the first 4 years all stock and loved it. I loved it enough that I got tired of having to switch to other vehicles for longer trips so I decided to go with a re-power/CUCV axles - it gave me everything I wanted.
    If the 75hp stock motor and slow speeds do not bother you then leave it alone and enjoy - its hard not to love these trucks!