Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carmen : Painting truck Camo

Default carmen : Painting truck Camo

Painting truck Camo
    Post by carmen on Sept 26, 2006, 7:11pm

Hi Guys
    I remember seeing a picture of an M715 painted camo. I know your going to tell me look at the picture gallery. I already did that. There was this M715 that was done up in camo which is what I want to want my M715 to look like. So if you can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Also, I like to know just how hard is it to paint a camo pattern? I have painted an 1945 MB Jeep, an 1954 M37 and a M416 trailer so I am not afraid to use the spray gun. Are there any tips I should know about paint a camo pattern?

Thanks

Carmen

Default wi715 :

Re: Painting truck Camo
    Post by wi715 on Sept 26, 2006, 7:47pm

maybe this is the one

http://homepage.mac.com/m715/jeep/index.html

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Sept 26, 2006, 8:52pm

Not hard just what pattern do you want to paint. The 4 color MERC pattern or the 3 color Nato pattern like hummers and cucvs have? The 4 color MERC pattern was what came into use durring the 70's and into the early 80's the 3 color Nato came in the 80's and still being used.

If you want the 4 color MERC pattern there are pages out there that show the M715 and its basically paint by numbers. If you want 3 color Nato then you would need to find the pattern for either a CUCV or Hummer and basically make it fit the M715.

The manual says to chalk the pattern on the truck and then paint it in. I free hand it. One suggestion though is to paint the base color (generaly green) and then paint in the other colors.

Good luck.

Default fisherman :

Post by fisherman on Sept 26, 2006, 9:52pm

Yeh, what K8icu said, Paint the truck the base color, mark your patterns, and spray away, I would free hand with a very adustable sprayer.

Default airborne :

Post by airborne on Sept 27, 2006, 6:34am

They claim the 3 color pattern the Germans use is the hardest to see. Some computer said this, so don't get mad at me. I have done a 3 color desert pattern on my truck (brush) Tan, Brown, Black. looks way gooder than F.D. red!!!!!!! I think a large pattern on a large truck, like the 715, looks better than a smaller one. Does that make sense? Oh, well, my .02

Default carmen :

Post by carmen on Sept 27, 2006, 3:42pm

I would like to go with the 4 color pattern. What is the base coat and what are the other three colors? About how much paint do I need for this type of paint job? Can someone please list the correct color numbers for me? Also am I to assume that the base coat is put down with an air gun and the other colors are put on with spray cans? Can I use a small air spray gun for the other colors?

I know there are lots of questions but I really like the camo pattern. I already have 1 Jeep, 1 truck and 1 trailer OD so camo will be nice.

Thanks

Carmen

Default opie744 :

Post by opie744 on Sept 27, 2006, 4:05pm

Quote:
    They claim the 3 color pattern the Germans use is the hardest to see. Some computer said this, so don't get mad at me. I have done a 3 color desert pattern on my truck (brush) Tan, Brown, Black. looks way gooder than F.D. red!!!!!!! I think a large pattern on a large truck, like the 715, looks better than a smaller one. Does that make sense? Oh, well, my .02

Airborne-
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but do you have any pics of the desert camo. My brother just bought a m1009 and was thinking about doing desert camo...

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Sept 27, 2006, 8:53pm

Here this page is what you need for the most part.

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/colormarkings.htm

There are like 12 colors you can use but the most common for the US and Europe would be the first color (base color) would be Forest Green (34079) The second color would be Field Drab (a light brown I do not know the FSN number). Then Sand and Flat Black.

You can get the paints from Aervo and Gillispie. I prefer Gillispie as aervo tends to fade very quickly. When I've camoed a vehicle I've sprayed the FG with a gun as well as the FD. Then use a rattle can for the sand and black.

You will need minimal of a gallon for the FG. The FD will be about a half gal so might as well get a gall and have extra. The Sand and Black two rattle cans. You will also need the black for all the markings. Sometime sand is used if the marking falls on a black part of the camo.

Hope this helps some.

Oh and don't worry about painting the top if its canvas. That was wishful thinking at the time the army developed this. If you have an artic top then I think camoing it would be cool! I wouldn't worry about troop seats either if you have them.

Default warwick :

Post by warwick on Sept 29, 2006, 12:25am

summer US & Europe
    winter US & Europe
    snow- temperate w/trees
    snow- temperate w/open terrain
    gray desert
    red desert
    tropics
    winter arctic

i used these colors
    http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2...ocolorsoz7.png
    Last edited by brute4c; January 13th, 2010 at 09:45 AM.

Default carmen :

Post by carmen on Sept 29, 2006, 11:18am

Warwick

What camo did you use to paint your truck? I am leading towards the 3th one down on the left. Thanks for posting the paint numbers, I assume that you can get all those colors from most MV vendors? If possible please post a picture of your truck.

Carmen