Thread: Brake drum removal

Am I just being a wuss? I can't get the passenger rear drum off. I have got the screws off no prob. I have beat the out of it and tried prying like a mofo, but can't get the darn thing off. I am frustrated. any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Default Brake drum removal

de-adjust the the shoes. Back them off. I don't know the direction off hand, but I'm guessing that it'll only go one way.

What you got is your drum is tight against the shoes, or the shoes have a groove in the drum that they are inside of. That won't allow you to take the drum off as long as the shoes are that tight.

Remember- hammers are for building houses. You don't need a hammer to put drums on, so you shouldn't need one to take them off. Drums run about $75 a pop and last I heard Barry was the only guy who has any- so be careful with them.

Try adjusting them via the slot on the back of the mounting plate (which is the part of the brake assembly that faces the underside of the truck). Use a screwdriver into the star adjuster. If you need more help, look in the on-line manuals under the brake section, or just post here.

Luck 2 ya,
    -B.

Are you sure you removed three (3) screws? From each drum.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks,

I definitely have 3 screw out. I tried adjusting the shoes, but couldn't be quite sure if I was tightening or loosening. I guess I'll take off the other side and figure it out.

Hammers are for building houses. LMAO

If you don't know which way to adjust the adjuster, put your tire back on and spin the wheel. Listen to the sound of the brake shoes rubbing. Turn the adjuster and spin the wheel some more. Keep adjusting and spinning until the noise is gone and then go a lot more in the same direciton with your brake spoon adjusting tool. I think, that each side of the truck adjust the same way but the other side is opposite. I think that, I do not remember. I just had all four of mine apart last week and I can't remember. Good luck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

You am correct, move the spoon "up" on one side to loosen, "down" on the other to loosen. Can't recall which is which (and for that I should be ashamed, I should adjust the brakes often enough to remember...)
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Keep turning untill you can't spin the wheel then go in the other direction untill you cant adjust any more....
    Zone holster maker