Thread: binfordm715 : How do I hook up my dwell meter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default binfordm715 : How do I hook up my dwell meter?

How do I hook up my dwell meter?
    Post by binfordm715 on Sept 22, 2006, 1:36am

With the coil/ignitor in the distributor cap, what do I hook the dwell meter lead up to? The tune-up manual only says to "connect dwell meter!" Or will it be obvious when I look at it?

Default k8icu :

Re: How do I hook up my dwell meter?
    Post by k8icu on Sept 22, 2006, 7:36am

Tim, You need an addaptor. If you look at the distribitor there is a large nut on the top of it. If you unscrew that it gives you acess down to the coil. There is an adaptor that the army made for this purpose. It screws into the opening. Had a tip that goes down and makes contact with the coil and then has a post that sticks up to hook up your tac/dwell meter. It comes in a kit that has an addaptor for the ignition wire so you can use a timing light, the meter hook up and two cables for testing the old generator/voltage regulators. You might be able to find one on e-bay or other surplus places. I have the kit and beleive you me it makes life a lot easier.
    You might be able to rig up some type of adaptor or if you know someone with a good machine shop they might be able to make one using the plug as a guide for the threads etc.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer than that, but that is how it's done.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on Sept 22, 2006, 8:48am

My dwell tach hooks to coil negative and ground....take that large hex off the ignitor cover, take off the whole ignitor cover too.

Hook a decent size wire to coil negative and run it out through the hole where the large hex plug was....put the cover back on.

Hook one lead, better be the right one, to that and the other to a good ground....on my tester there is a green wire that goes to the coil negative location and a black one that goes to ground.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Sept 22, 2006, 10:08am

Quote:
    Hook one lead, better be the right one, to that and the other to a good ground....on my tester there is a green wire that goes to the coil negative location and a black one that goes to ground.

Yup. Mine's the same way.

I'll try that MacGuyver wire trick and if that doesn't do it, I'll break down and get the kit.

Thanks, guys.....