Thread: Do I need a Slip jont from Trans to T-case?

Default Do I need a Slip jont from Trans to T-case?

I am installing a chev 454/th400 with the stock t-case. I went to the driveline shop to get a smaller drive line to connect the 2 together and the guy didnt want to build it for me. He said I needed a slip yolk in the transmission otherwise I'd brake the tailshaft of my trans???? Is this guy just giving me the worst case scenario or should I install a slip yolk in the trans? It dosent come that way stock. What have all you guys running the stock T-case done for a trans/Tcase driveline? I dont have much space for a slip unless I move my T-case back, but I dont really want to do that. My motor just has bolt on's, Truck avenger carb, performer RPM intake/cam and headers.

you do not HAVE to have a slip yoke. think about it, trans is in a fixed location, transfer case is in a fixed location, no slip yoke required. however...it's much easier to install the shaft if it can slip, that is collapse slightly. other wise to install and remove the "jack shaft" you have to unbolt the transfer case and slide it back. but it's no big job to do that. i used a slip joint because i plan to change to an auto trans someday and didn't want to have to to the job again.

I believe the cross member that holds the transfercase has slotted holes so it can be adjusted to fit the intermediate driveshaft, then a slip joint is only needed on the rear driveshaft going to the rear axle.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You will need some flexibility in the shaft between the transfer and transmission. The reason being is that both are rubber mounted and can very slightly move independently of each other.

The TH400 will have a slip yoke in the rear of it if you are using a 2WD trans, which I assume you are, because of the stock NP200. Below is a picture of what I used between my TH400 and the stock NP200 transfer case:

This is a cage from a double cardan joint on the front driveshaft of an 89 Jeep XJ. It used the same size u-joints as the stock NP200 uses and it was just the right length for the placement of the Big Blcok Chevy and TH400 trans.

I left about 3/4 of the slip yoke in the trans tailshaft for good spline engagement, and it has worked fine for me.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Randy,

Is the snap-ring missing from the bottom right joint-cap? If not – what keeps it in?

Amphi, that's an internal snap ring type. Like the ones on our front axle joints.

Like this
    Last edited by Doug; April 18th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by amphi View Post
    Randy,

Is the snap-ring missing from the bottom right joint-cap? If not – what keeps it in?
    Because the TH400 output yoke is larger than the TH350, there is a different U-joint that has external snap rings on the shaft end and internal snap rings on the yoke side.

That pic is a before too, and its all been cleaned and painted now....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks for clearing that up because I was wondering -- what's wrong with this picture. Makes sense now.

As you can tell I haven't been into my front axel joints.

Thanks again