Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti-theft device?

Default anti-theft device?

Two quick questions:

I have a chain link welded to the drivers side floor on my M715 just in front of the seat. All I can think of is to maybe chain up the steering wheel? is it original or done sometime later. I have seen it on at least one other M715 also.

What did the storage compartment under the bed hold?

Your speculation about the reason for the chain link welded to the floor is correct. In regards to the chain link being original, this "option" was done after the vehicles left the factory, so it's only as original as are the stars and unit markings.

I have always felt that the storage compartment under the bed was designed specifically to haul the deep-water fording kit. However, according to some information found in the manuals, there are other components that belong in that location. These items include the vehicle jack and canvas cab top, among other items.

The canvas top, along with all the items needed to mount it on the cab store behind the seats in the cab.

Where stuff should be stored is listed in the -10 Operators Manual in the Appendix section. Stuff that is supposed to be in the under bed storage is listed as "In tool compt on R.H. or L.H. lower front side of body."

You can read the Appendix in the Online Manuals section linked above or at this direct link:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=10appendix

The chain is a common feature, mine is welded to the font of the drivers seat frame...but not present on all trucks.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

My 715 did not have the chain welded in it, but my Deuce did.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That explains the glob of weld on the floor in front of my seat.

Are there any other recommended anti-theft fixtures? An aftermarket ignition and key or possibly the secret hidden power cut of switch. We could use suggestions for more modern devices. Any ideas folks??

I have a hidden key switch for my 12V ignition.
    I also have a key switch on the battery box, mine is in the bed but could be done with a stock box...this 2nd one is more for positive battery cut off to prevent running the batteries down but also is a security feature.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbush 8 View Post
    Are there any other recommended anti-theft fixtures?
    A prominently displayed 870 whenever you drive the truck.......

In lieu of that, I'd do a battery disconnect somewhere only you know about and maybe a key switch if you aren't 100% original. Just remember though, youre only locking it up from the honest people.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Back in 1998, I made a device that disconnected the wire that goes to the starter and connects it to the horn until a "magic switch is energised. basically I could give the keys to a friend and they would try to start it and the only thing that would happen was the horn would blow as long as they cranked it. Obviously this would draw more attention than those stupid car alarms. I connected the relays to the headlight bright dim switch so that if you pulled back on the bright dim switch to flash the brights it would energize one relay and stay energized. now you could crank the engine. after you were done with the vehicle, you opened the door, which turned on the interior lights and also sent power to annother relay that would cut off power to the first relay and reset the system. I also had a flashing LED on the dash to show that I had a "anti-theft" system in my JEEP along with a really cool sticker that said "This vehicle protected by anti-theft sticker" I love it!!! I set up a switch that would disable the system that was located under the hood.(in case a relay broke) You could use any 12-24 volt source to activate the system so you could make it so you had to turn on the heater blower or windshield wipers for a brief second to set the system. preferably something that worked while the keys were not in the vehicle. I could dig up the schematic for it if anyone would like.

A big dog works well. I've owned St Bernards for many years,most of them freindly. But very few people want to check to see if Grumpy or Happy is in the truck.

DaveJ