Thread: What is a 4BT ???

Im guessing that its a Cummings 5.9 Diesel. Am I right? If so I want one, that is my dream engine with a NV4500 behind it. Someday.....

It's a Cummins, NO "g".

It is a 4-cylinder version of the Cummins popularized by installing them in Dodge trucks in '88 I think.

The one used in dodge trucks was the 6BT5.9 Nomenclature as follows: 6=number of cylinders
    B=engine family
    T=Turbocharged
    5.9=displacement

Dodge now uses a more refined version of the engine that employs electronically-controlled fuel injection and "drive-by-wire" throttle (no linkage - it's all sensors and actuators) and a 24-valve head (among many other refinements). Also, it's a 6BTA5.9 in that an aftercooler is used to cool the compressed (and thereby heated, and less dense) charge air. An aftercooler is a big air-to-air heat exchanger plumbed between the turbo and intake manifold.

Now, back to your original question = a "4BT" is actually a "4BT3.9" the same naming convention above applies. With all that extra room, Lee may elect to install an aftercooler.

Bob
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

its not that much room!
    i have just enough to run an elec fan. and the pully is about 3/4 inch from it. i still dont see how the 6bts fit, unless its a hack job.

Just looked at pics - I guess it IS tight! Looks like your engine/trans splitline is farther forward than I expected. Had to do that the get shift tower location and oil pan clearnace?
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

A four cylinder diesel.... Never thought about that. Whats the going yard price for one and does it mate up to a NV4500? Thanks I will have to look at mcinfantry's site to check it out more.

im using a dodge 2wd nv4500 with a gm output(shorter) a dodge adapter plate and bellhousing. i put the engine where the shifter comes out the same hole. the down pipe from the exhaust is against the heat shield, and thats after i shortened the down pipe 2 inches at the collector. so the motor couldnt really go any farther forward, and it wont go any farther back. so i was lucky the shifter came out the same hole.