Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M715 or M726

Did it serve with a fire dept? They may have swapped the bed out. Look through the pics, members and misc photos and you should find some trucks to compare with. Dave

Wideload, They would occasionally take a 715 and convert it into a "726" configuration at a later date, I have one of these. Mine was converted in 76 if I remember right. Click the link in this text box and it should take you to my photo aabum if you want some pics of it to compare to yours.
    Doug
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

The reason I asked about the locks is that the military beds didn't have any toolbox locks (as far as I know).

So in my mind yours was swapped over by a non-military user and happened to use the civvy version of the military utility bed and the company "Stahl" popped their tag on the dash so everyone knows who built the bed.

How's that for a theory?

Chris

Oh yea, swapping to a regular cargo bed is cake. I cut my utility bed into manageable pieces while it was still bolted in place, otherwise I would have needed a crane to remove it (I think it's somewhere around 1000 lbs more than the cargo bed). The bed mounts and fuel tank are the same between the two beds. The fuel filler hose is different as well as the filler neck. Beds aren't too hard to come by, I'm on my second cargo bed but beware of rust in the stake pockets in addition to any obvious rust. Also the tailgates seem to take quite a bit of abuse. The cargo bed can be manuevered with an engine hoist and some ingenuity if you don't have any willing friends.

The truck could have been rebuilt later in its life at an Army Depot. Some place like Red River or Tobyhana or even Letterkenny. The Army might have had a need for x number of M726 but its now 1971 or later and they aint making any more. So, they took x number of M715 out of service, ran them through the depot and converted them to M726. Not an unheard of thing.
    That's my theory on it.
    Call it an M726 and go for it!
    Zone holster maker

Chris, The stewart avionics boxes I have seen have had locks on them., Mine was rebuilt at the Watervliet arsenal, The tag is on the front of the box close to the drivers door.

What's the Stewart Avionics one? My 726 had a Stahl box, I assumed they were all the same?

Chris

You fellas sure are helpful, thanks.
    Mine does look a lot like JeepistDougs truck, except the faded paint and a few dents and stuff.
    I'll guess then it was built as an M715 and later changed to the M726 type box. That would have been done by the military right? Guessing they would be the only ones who would have the bed for the M726 available?
    If I change to a regular bed, is this bed worth anything or do people change to the regular one and throw this one away? It's a little big to leave laying around.

Default Safetyguy?

Hey Wideload,

One more thing to consider. My truck has the wrong data plate from the factory. It is a M715 built on 7-67. The serial numbers match on both the data plate and on the frame. HOWEVER, my main data plate is for a M725. All the other data plates are correct but the main one says its an ambulance. My truck was NEVER an ambulance. I guess someone wasn't paying attention at Kaiser/Jeep on that day. All the data plates are in the same condition, all the rivets are the same color and style. I even took the whole data plate bracket off the dash and it looked like it had never been off before(nice fresh semi-gloss OD under there). I considered changing the plates but thought is kind of unique that mine are wrong.

So, its possible that the data plates just got mixed up at Kaiser. Plus the M724/726 trucks are much more rare than a regular cargo M715 so you might want to keep it together.

Karl
    Karl 1969 M715 wo/w

Dang chris, didn't catch your question till now.

Anyway, you had a 726? or do you still have it?

Like I said, mine is tagged as a 715, but it was aresenal reconfigured in 1976. I assume they could have switched boxes and manufactures several times over the years.

I guess technically I still have it but I cut the box into manageable pieces and sent it to a scrapper. I have the opposite of you, tagged 726 in 715 configuration.

Wideload, You'll probably have a tough time finding someone that wants the bed, of course you'll find plenty that say it's rare and should be worth more.

Sometime in the 50's I believe the light truck makers tried to standardize the basic bed dimensions to make it easier on the specialty bed manufacturers. This is also why you'll sometimes see some farmhick with a chevy bed on a Ford or something ly similar. So most likely the utility beds aren't exactly unique to military use except maybe the lock delete that seems to be on the original 726's. I've seen the very same bed in civvy use but with locks on the doors, that's the only difference I've noticed anyhow.

Chris